New to sw

1. joiakimfish Member Member

Hi I may start a 10-20g sw reef soon but don't know much ... What kind of Fish and equipment would be sutable

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

In a 20 you could have a pair of misbar clownfish and some small gobys..Get about 20 pounds of live and then you shouldn't need a fliter,just tow power heads and a skimmer.

3. joiakimfish Member Member

That seems like something I'd try ... But why wouldent I need a filter?

4. Pikachu13131 Member Member

I guess it filters water,im not sure.you should probably get a filter anyways,it will allow more fish to be put in the tank.If tour going to get a filter get the marineland penguin 250 or 150.

5. joiakimfish Member Member

Their seem to be quite a bit of negative reviews about those filters have they faired nicely for you

6. Pikachu13131 Member Member

I've heard good things about them.marineland usually makes good products.

7. joiakimfish Member Member

Perhaps some more extensive research on my part

8. chiquis Initiate Member

Welcome :D Im new as well

9. JimTheFishGuy Well Known Member Member

You don't need an external filter because the live rock is already your biological filtration. It's called live rock because it's "live" with bacteria (the same types you would find in your filter).

I advise against starting that small with SW, 30-40 would be a thousand times easier. In a tank that small, you're highly susceptible to huge swings in water params due to evaporation. And you could actually have a couple fish.

10. joiakimfish Member Member

Makes sence I'm hoping to get a tank for Xmas that will deff be sw

11. joiakimfish Member Member

As far as skimmers are concerned are their any that you would recomend

12. JimTheFishGuy Well Known Member Member

I've had a reef going for a year, and I never had a skimmer. Regular water changes and top-offs are crucial to success.