New to snails

Discussion in 'Snails' started by marina3, Mar 31, 2010.

1. m

marina3 Valued Member Member

Hi guys!

I have a 3 gal Eclipse tank at work with a little betta in it. My office has bright lights, plus the light in the lid of the tank has produce ( in my oopinion) the culpit for some brown patches on my fake planrs, gravel and decor as well as little patches on the glass. Do you think that introducing a snail will be benefitial? I am learning about them and the only thing I don't have very clear (or I do but i cannot believe it) is that they can reproduce even though may only be ONE snail in the tank?
    Could you clarify and advise me what type of snail can I introduce to a 3gal tank (if any)? I read that the nerite snail is good choice for algae control!
    :;thx

2. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

hi, i am new to snails as well.....i have done some research....but now i'm confused in a recent finding myself! i read "apple" snails grow very large, but mystery snails, which are a kind of apple, but are smaller, don't grow as big. but then i just read the mystery can grow as large as a golf ball! :eek: i love all the colors you can get, pink, blue, purple, magenta etc.....but i just can't think who can actually have one in their tank that is the size of a golf ball!

3. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Okay, to clear up all this confusion (I got confused, too):

Apple Snails

Can grow up to the size of a baseball. They mercilessly devour any live plants as well as fish food in the tank, but completely ignore algae and diatoms.

All mystery snails are apple snails, but not all apple snails are mystery snails. Think of it like: all cichlids are fish but not all fish are cichlids. In other words, mystery snails are a type of apple snail. However, the term "apple snail" usually goes to the species that grows very large.

Mystery Snails

Are much smaller than apples. I've never seen one that has grown larger than 1 1/2" in shell diameter. They do not eat plants as readily, however, also ignore algae and diatoms, IME.

If you want to get a snail that eats algae or diatoms (the brown stuff) I'd go for freshwater nerite snails. The "brown stuff" is also caused by a lack of lighting.

4. jerilovesfrogs

If you want to get a snail that eats algae or diatoms (the brown stuff) I'd go for freshwater nerite snails. The "brown stuff" is also caused by a lack of lighting.[/QUOTE]
    hmmmm that good info you have. i am not sure why then every pet place i go to, they're selling them as good algae eaters? but beyond that....algae can also be caused by lack of light too???? i didn't know that one. so too much light, or not enough? what's the balance?

5. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

The brown diatoms (algae) can be caused by not enough light or overfeeding and most new tanks will get them. They do eventually go away on their own.

6. OP
    OP
    m

Well guys, I went for it and got a gold mystery snail, this lady that is pretty knowledgble at the LFS told me that "they are the same than the nerites, they just call them mystery snails...I didn't want to argue so I got a little one, will see if it eats the brown staff or not...

Jerilovesfrogs, guess what??? I got 2 tiny frogs...one for the 10 gal and one for Carlitps tank...I hope is not to much for him...2 new habitants all at once!!

Well, that the brown staff is due to lack of light is news to me...I thought that it was the other way around, like Jerilovesfrogs said...too much light been the culpit....My tank at work has the lights on for 10 hrs mon thru fri but during the weekends, since I am not there the lights are off...

7. p

philipbouchard-davies Valued Member Member

Maybe you could consider getting a timer :)

Phil :)

8. i

ilikefish Valued Member Member

I must respectfully disagree with this statement... I have a golden apple snail... And while my tank was young (and I had algae growing on the glass) I could see little trails all throughout the carpet of algae on the back glass (I magnetized the other sides off... My one apple snail in my 10g however was NOT enough to make a dramatic difference but it was very clear to see he would eat the algae... as far as eating plants... possibly but not very significantly... he was just larger than a quarter...

Anyway... thought I should share my experience with apple snails... but yes they get big... I saw a tennis ball sized one in a LFS but he wasn't for snail XD...

But If your looking for algae control and low bioload I'd look into nerite snails... Ive heard good things...

9. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

10. OP
    OP
    m

Gosh Phil!!! Thats right!!!! A timer!!!!! I am such a da.....:;smack
    Thanks! I have one at home that I can bring... Another project for this long weekend!!!

Happy Easter!!:;hi2

11. OP
    OP
    m

ilikefish,
    I got a mystery :;snail (gold) last night AND a little frog that just got introduced to my betta tank!!! The snail started moving a minute after she touched bottom and move all the way to the back of the tank, parking on the glass...before that she did a little stop at the filter intake and kept going!!!:) So cute! The frog jumped around a little and the betta stops by the bottom giving some curious looks...Not much flaring going on!!!

12. rainman

rainman Well Known Member Member

Grrr! common names are confusing sometimes. Apple snails and Mystery snails are of the family Ampullariidae. TRUE Apple Snails have the scientific name  ; Mystery Snails have the scientific name  .

13. rainman

I have a fully planted tank; my Apple Snails have not bothered them. It's all about availability of food and diet. If there is something missing they will eat anything to try and cope by eating everything.

14. S

Slippy New Member Member

I just got 2 Apple Snails and 2 Zebra Nerite snails, and they all eat algae :;hf

Hopefully, I can get my algae under control now :;fru

15. jerilovesfrogs

actually rainman, common names are the only names i really can understand at this point! :rolleyes: haha. uhhh so ok, then if apple and mystery are of the same fam, and TRUE are not, then why even call the other an apple snail at all?! just call it an orange snail......or a lemon snail. what about a grapefruit snail :;laughing omg, i've lost it!

and now, how are we, the ppl who have no clue, supposed to know if we're being sold an apple snail from the ampulardialalala family, or a TRUE apple? i wouldn't take the word from those hi-my-iq is 10-can-i-help-u employees at most stores. ya know? :;th

16. jerilovesfrogs

hi marina! so the frog, is it an ADF (african dwarf frog)? or an african clawed frog? if it's the latter, you're gonna have issues! they get large, like 5inches, or maybe the size a fist. and there are many pet stores that have albino clawed frogs, being sold as ADF. and there really aren't albino ADFs. so that's a clue. frogs are heavy waste producers though.....i don't know if heavy as goldfish, but messy nonetheless. but i'd be concerned too if, it is an ADF, the betta might bug him. though your betta might not care....but you never know. and if it's the clawed kind, he might eat your betta! :eek: maybe not that, but, again, you never know!

17. rainman

There are links within the names which show pictures on how to identify the two different species.

18. Elodea

Very good info there, Rainman, but I thought that the term "apple snail" referred to all species within the genus Pomacea?

I think its all up to the snail...I've seen my [now deceased] mystery snail (Pomacea bridgesii) crawl over the diatoms [also now deceased] without taking a single bite, however, he would voraciously chomp up my anacharis. I guess it's all personal experience.

Nerite snails are very different from apple snails, contrary to what the LFS lady said:

Freshwater (and brackish) nerite snails all belong to the species Neritina natalensis (at least the common ones: olive, ruby/tracked, zebra). The horned nerite snail is Clithona corona. Nerite snails are renowned for their algae-eating ability, however, are very small compared to apple snails - the largest can hit a maximum of a little over an inch in shell diameter, the particularly small horned nerite only grows up to 2/3" in shell diameter.

19. rainman

Thanks. Yes, a majority of the people use the term 'Apple Snail' for the Canass though. All this goes back to my initial about common name. LOL, they are annoying.

20. Elodea

Oh, worse than that. Once I was trying to buy Amano shrimp (Cardina japonica) and found them in a tank mixed with ghost shrimp and all of them were called "algae shrimp".

Then came that time when I bought a few serpae tetras (Hyphessobrycon eques)from Petsmart labeled "Long-finned Red Minor Tetra".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice