New To Snails + Snail Help [emoji224]

1. mothra

mothra New Member Member

Recently, I have picked up a Dwarf Puffer fish from Petco (rare for our local shop) and have since had her in a 5.5g(seeded the filter with beneficial bacteria from an established tank) medicated her with API General Cure for internal parasites (as well as soaking her bloodworms in it)& (will upgrade her to a 10g when she matures) and I want to start breeding some snails in a separate tank/bucket/container. I was wondering if I could have Ramshorn snails and Bladder/Pest Snails in the same tank as Malaysian Trumpet Snails? And I was wondering if you had any tips on breeding snails? What kind of conditions do they prefer to live/ breed in? I'm willing to go the extra mile if it means I can keep a good colony of snails alive and well. Thanks all!

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

Just provide clean, fresh water and plenty of food. The more food they have the more they will breed. You don't need a heater or filter so long as you change the water regularly, say at least twice a week depending on how dirty it gets. If you want, you can easily do the same in a filtered and heated tank/tub and probably get better results. Warmer water means faster metabolism and growth.

3. OP
    OP
    mothra

mothra New Member Member

Thanks for the pointers! Will do

4. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

I have an airstone but no filter or heater in my snail breeding 2 1/2 gallon jar. I do have pathos growing in the top of it though and the roots have grown to the bottom of the tank/jar. I do a water change on it every 2 weeks. The pathos seems to keep the ammonia and nitrates at zero. I'm sure this tank isn't cycled since it has no filter but in this case it really isn't necessary.

I keep a leaf of lettuce floating on the top. the snails get on it and it makes it easy to get some of them out to feed my assassin snails. I keep them well fed with veggies, shrimp pellets and flakes so they are breeding quickly.

A 2 or 3 gallon tank should be about the perfect size to use as a breeding tank.

5. OP
    OP
    mothra

mothra New Member Member

Thanks for sharing! This is helpful, I wasn't sure if an airstone/filter/heater and all would benefit them or not