New to shrimp

1. Grant Member Member

\Hey guys I need some advice . I'm wanting to build my first shrimp tank and so far I have a 10 gallon and I'm wondering whats a better starter shrimp, ghost or Cherry? I'm also wanting a fairly heavily planted tank and have some plants on the way. What substrate would you guys suggest? I can get gravel really easy but would another substrate be better? and have seachem flourish for my other tank along with root tabs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore :;hi2

I think thats great you want to start a shrimp tank but first things first. Shrimp should not be introduced to a new tank or one that hasn't completed the cycling process. Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? If not, you really should read up on it before putting any shrimp in the tank -

RCS ( or red cherry shrimp ) come in many different varieties and are prolific breeders once they get settled in their environment.

Ghost shrimp on the other hand do not produce offspring as easily due to the larval stage. Ghost shrimp usually are sold as "feeder" food and are quite cheap ( usually around .40 cents a piece ) whereas RCS are usually a few dollars each.

Shrimp like mossy type of plants, moss balls, java moss etc. I don't know if one substrate is better than the other so maybe someone else can chime in and I don't know about the root tabs or flourish ( I don't use that in my tank and have sand substrate.

3. Skyy2112 Member Member

IMO Ghosties are sometimes wild caught, or sold as feeders. Depending where they are obtained, they may even be ""brackish"".

However, with enough research they are both super cool. I dont suggest mixing, Ghosties can get aggressive, and are quite larger.

RCS are smaller, but they breed a lot better, (babies dont start larvae state)

Get whichever you think would look better. You are the king of the tank, you'll be the aquascaper, and whatever else. If you have a good LFS take a peek at both and see which you like better, they both have very different attitudes!

4. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

I use gravel/crushed coral and root tabs in my shrimp tanks and have not had any problems. As mentioned, definitely cycle the tank before adding them. Having kept both, I think I would suggest going for RCS. At least ime they are a lot more active and exciting to watch. They are also easy to breed, meaning you can start out with 5-10 and will easily have a nice colony going off that, whereas with ghosts, if you want more, you will be buying them (though they're very inexpensive).

Also, important thing to note with ghosts, it is very easy for other critters to be marked as ghost shrimp (whisker shrimp, I even saw one guy who ended up with baby prawns...), so while ghosts are generally not aggressive, it's very easy to get the wrong thing from the store and not be any wiser until really close inspection or you start losing tank inhabitants.

As of today, I do have a ghost in with my brand new blue version of the RCS, and have seen no aggression yet. Been keeping a close eye on it, but the RCS are so much faster... Skyy have you had negative experiences with the pairing?

5. Grant Member Member

Yeah I know about the cycling. This is just me getting ideas set in stone for the tank. My lfs is about an hour away and last time I was there they didn't have any shrimp. Can you order them and ship them or is that too risky? Thank you to all who replied you guys are helping me a bunch!!

6. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Yep, you can definitely order them. I actually just received some new ones for one of my tanks yesterday :)

7. Skyy2112 Member Member

A lot of LFS around me dont carry shrimp. Minus feeder ghosties here and there.

I havent tried pairing, just research. Whats the difference for whiskers/ghosties? Just so I know. =] thanks Bithimala

8. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Evil vs not evil, lol. Whiskers are the ones most commonly sold as ghosts that shouldn't be. I'll hunt down a link for a good pic comparison this evening.

9. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug, W31.jpg

This is the best pic I have found for comparison. Left is a whisker shrimp, right is a ghost shrimp. Visual differences are the little dots on the tail and the small bands on the antennae.