Help New to Saltwater

Kuru

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm considering starting an adventure into saltwater fish keeping. That being said, due to space I can't start with a big tank like most people I've seen recommend. I was hoping for some advice to how big of a tank I would need to house maybe

1 pair of clownfish
1 Shrimp Goby
1 Pistol Shrimp

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Could fit in a smaller tank but 40g is a good start

tuggerlake26

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with a 30-40. Minimum would be 30, but larger usually makes things easier to manage.

Tallen78

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Kuru said:
I'm considering starting an adventure into saltwater fish keeping. That being said, due to space I can't start with a big tank like most people I've seen recommend. I was hoping for some advice to how big of a tank I would need to house maybe

1 pair of clownfish
1 Shrimp Goby
1 Pistol Shrimp
I’m just entering the world of saltwater myself I haven’t started my tank yet but I have acquired a 32g biocube and I am having the same issues is the tank to small how many fish can I keep will it be hard to maintain perimeters because I too have been told start with a bigger tank

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Parameters are controlled different in saltwater. Nitrifying bacteria will grow inside of your rock. It's pourus and dark. So the rock over time will eat some nitrates. Not alot but some. Also a refugium will lower nitrates in the aquarium. Last I checked which was over a week (in process of moving) my nitrates were 15. It's high on saltwater levels. Phosphate is a large algea building block for algea. In a small tank water changes can combate high nutrients. For my 120g with 40g sump doing a 50% change is very expensive. Probably 30$ or more in salt. Let alone waste rodi water that isn't used adds up. So that's 200$+ a month in water changes. Doing 30g changes is 100$ a month. For a 32g no sump 15 gallons is much more cost effective. Same rules apply for nitrates in saltwater 30 nitrates 50% change 15. I normally feed 1.5 cubes frozen and flakes total per day. So .75 cube frozen 2 times flakes once and nitrates are steady at 15.

Thing with saltwater fish unlike freshwater fish they are mean and territorial. Even peaceful saltwater fish don't like same species or fish that look alike. That's what hinders your planning in saltwater. Clownfish are cute but mean. Unless you have a fish bigger and meaner a clownfish female will be boss of a tank. Dottybacks are small but will fight with fish 3 times their size.

Tallen78

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Rcslade124 said:
Parameters are controlled different in saltwater. Nitrifying bacteria will grow inside of your rock. It's pourus and dark. So the rock over time will eat some nitrates. Not alot but some. Also a refugium will lower nitrates in the aquarium. Last I checked which was over a week (in process of moving) my nitrates were 15. It's high on saltwater levels. Phosphate is a large algea building block for algea. In a small tank water changes can combate high nutrients. For my 120g with 40g sump doing a 50% change is very expensive. Probably 30$ or more in salt. Let alone waste rodi water that isn't used adds up. So that's 200$+ a month in water changes. Doing 30g changes is 100$ a month. For a 32g no sump 15 gallons is much more cost effective. Same rules apply for nitrates in saltwater 30 nitrates 50% change 15. I normally feed 1.5 cubes frozen and flakes total per day. So .75 cube frozen 2 times flakes once and nitrates are steady at 15.

Thing with saltwater fish unlike freshwater fish they are mean and territorial. Even peaceful saltwater fish don't like same species or fish that look alike. That's what hinders your planning in saltwater. Clownfish are cute but mean. Unless you have a fish bigger and meaner a clownfish female will be boss of a tank. Dottybacks are small but will fight with fish 3 times their size.
Thanks I was thinking doing coral and a trio of fish maybe to breed so this isn’t a good idea I haven’t looked into any fish yet because I’m still trying to figure out my water situation where I’m going to get it how to store it and should I just invest and make my own idk yet still reading and asking questions

Gavin Trzcinski

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you're looking for a good starter tank, you could get a 32 gallon bio cube. I wouldn't go smaller than a 30 gallon because parameters can fluctuate more in a smaller environment

Tallen78

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Gavin Trzcinski said:
If you're looking for a good starter tank, you could get a 32 gallon bio cube. I wouldn't go smaller than a 30 gallon because parameters can fluctuate more in a smaller environment
That’s what I have a friend gave it to me I’m waiting on the updated lid to come in from amazon and I have every thing else skimmer heater pump and a few pieces of dead rock

Attachments

New Threads