New to Saltwater, Planning stock

Kaitjm

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So....

If I were to cave and join the salty side what would the best stocking situation be with my rough brainstorming ideas?

A little history: I currently have 2 freshwater tanks that I have steadily maintained for over a year now and I would really like to get into the saltwater world. My uncle had an 80 gal reef tank that he took down a few years ago but kept a few things that I could ultimately use if I were to go through with this.

What I'm thinking: I have had my eyes on fluval's evo 13.5 gal but I recently saw that they have a 16 gal so the plan would be to go with that instead of the evo and obviously change the lighting it would come with. The 16 gal measures 22x11.5x17.5 but the display is about 19.3x11.5x17.5 due to the rear chamber.

What I've been tossing around is planning some livestock for it.

After doing some research today, I would like the mix to include:
an ocellaris clownfish
a royal gramma
a blue sapphire damsel/springer's damsel
and a skunk cleaner shrimp

I know there are all sorts of invert options and the whole world of corals that I haven't dove into as much yet in terms of research, but feel free to involve that stocking too.

My questions are would this idea work in a 16 gal with weekly water changes? Would a single o. clownfish be OK with this mix or would it be possible for a pair work also in this situation?

Would 4 fish in a 16 be pushing it if I go with a clownfish pair instead of just 3 fish in the 16 gal?

I would not really want to go any bigger on the tank size. I like the idea of making the 16 gal into a reef tank. Just looking for opinions regarding stocking and any experience with a similar setup to what I'm trying to go for here.

I am totally open to any and all other advice as I am new to saltwater and want to understand how to best approach this.

Your feedback is appreciated.

CichlidJynx

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Kaitjm said:
So....

If I were to cave and join the salty side what would the best stocking situation be with my rough brainstorming ideas?

A little history: I currently have 2 freshwater tanks that I have steadily maintained for over a year now and I would really like to get into the saltwater world. My uncle had an 80 gal reef tank that he took down a few years ago but kept a few things that I could ultimately use if I were to go through with this.

What I'm thinking: I have had my eyes on fluval's evo 13.5 gal but I recently saw that they have a 16 gal so the plan would be to go with that instead of the evo and obviously change the lighting it would come with. The 16 gal measures 22x11.5x17.5 but the display is about 19.3x11.5x17.5 due to the rear chamber.

What I've been tossing around is planning some livestock for it.

After doing some research today, I would like the mix to include:
an ocellaris clownfish
a royal gramma
a blue sapphire damsel/springer's damsel
and a skunk cleaner shrimp

I know there are all sorts of invert options and the whole world of corals that I haven't dove into as much yet in terms of research, but feel free to involve that stocking too.

My questions are would this idea work in a 16 gal with weekly water changes? Would a single o. clownfish be OK with this mix or would it be possible for a pair work also in this situation?

Would 4 fish in a 16 be pushing it if I go with a clownfish pair instead of just 3 fish in the 16 gal?

I would not really want to go any bigger on the tank size. I like the idea of making the 16 gal into a reef tank. Just looking for opinions regarding stocking and any experience with a similar setup to what I'm trying to go for here.

I am totally open to any and all other advice as I am new to saltwater and want to understand how to best approach this.

Your feedback is appreciated.
You could do a pair of clowns but keep in mind they’re max size of 3”. I have a Springers Damsel, Watchman Goby, and 2 clowns in a 30 cube and everyone gets along nicely. Royal Gramma should really be in a 30 for swimming space so I would stay at 3 fish + inverts.

Kaitjm

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CichlidJynx said:
You could do a pair of clowns but keep in mind they’re max size of 3”. I have a Springers Damsel, Watchman Goby, and 2 clowns in a 30 cube and everyone gets along nicely. Royal Gramma should really be in a 30 for swimming space so I would stay at 3 fish + inverts.
OK so scratch the RG. I was seeing mixed tank sizes from 12-30 gal that would be appropriate for them. I do fancy the watchman goby and also like the yellow clown goby.

If I were to go with the clown pair would a single springers damsel and a watchman goby be too much? Would a yellow clown goby be better instead of a watchman? Do you know the differences between these?

Would it be more of a territory issue than bioload with the 4 fish if I did the pair, damsel, and a goby?

CichlidJynx

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could do a watchman or clown goby. That’s what I keep along with snails, crabs, and soon shrimp and so far everyone’s doing good! On the topic of bio-load whatever your using as filtration is would suggest taking some sponge out and adding more media. I use Eheim Substrat pro because of how small yet effective it is. This is my Goby and damsel!

Attachments

Kaitjm

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
CichlidJynx said:
You could do a watchman or clown goby. That’s what I keep along with snails, crabs, and soon shrimp and so far everyone’s doing good! On the topic of bio-load whatever your using as filtration is would suggest taking some sponge out and adding more media. I use Eheim Substrat pro because of how small yet effective it is. This is my Goby and damsel!
Awesome! Thanks for the tips!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom