new to saltwater hobby... need help getting into it!

tankman2

Reaction score
Hi, I currently keep African cichlids only and I have a few brackish tanks with them. I have a 20 gallon tank right now with nothing in it. I want to know if it would be possible to keep saltwater fish in here, and if so how many, what kinds to steer towards, and what equiptment will I need that I dont already have. Thanks a lot!

Brian

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Re: new to saltwater hobby...need help getting into it!!

What equipment you need for the tank depends on what you want to put into the tank. A somple fish only tank only needs filter, and heater. If you wan live rock or coral then there is a lot more you will need. With a 20 gallon tank there are quite a few different fish you can have. What are you trying to accomplish with the tank?

tankman2

Reaction score

hi, thanks for respoinding. I dont plan on putting any live rock in there. I have 2 aquaclear filters on the tank right now. will this be sufficent for just fish only? will I need a protein skimmer? I was planning on getting some clown fish but I am still not decided. What is your opinion about having a 20 gallon saltwater?

thanks,
brian

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score

20 gallon salt water would be nice with 2 clown fish. I have a six gallon saltwater with clown fish. You will not need a protein scimmer for a fish only tank. You only really need them if you are doing hard coral. Your 2 filters should do just fine.

tankman2

Reaction score

by no rock you mean no live rock right. i would still be able to put regular rock in there once it is washed properly. now about the fish, i would only be able to put two clown fish in the tank? no other small fish such as sea horses, or no more that two clown fish?

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score

You could actually have live rock in there as well I do the only thing is without special lighting "Power Compact, Metal Halied" it won't grow any of that nice colorfulll fungus on it, but it will be just fine in the tank. You could look at getting some other fish for the tank as well. The clown fish full grow are about 3-4 nches, so you could do 3 or 4 clown fish in the tank or maybe 2 clown fish and to damsil, or golbys. I don't know much about sea horses so i can't answer that question for you.

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

I recommend live rock simply because it's a great biological filter. You don't need metal halides to grow the purple encrusting coralline algae. The coralline algae can grow under regular flourescents and seems to grow better under 50/50 full spectrum/actinic (blue) lighting. I wouldn't keep more than two clowns in a 20 gallon and would not mix clown species.

I recommend a protein skimmer, especially if you're a beginner to saltwater. Once you see the the brown gunk (dissolved organics/proteins) they pull out of the water, you will probably always use them. They pull these organics out of the water before they have a chance to nitrify and contribute to problem algae blooms and nitrates.

In my opinion, sea horses need a species only tank with very slow water currents. They are also very slow eaters and would not be able to compete with fish at feeding time.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom