New To Salt

1. Nate05

Nate05 New Member Member

Hello everyone I'm new to salt water I've been doing fresh water tanks for about 7 or 8 years but after my last fresh water tank gotten stolen by my ex (I won't get into it) I decided to try salt water I found one on Cl for sale it's a 16gal biocube with nothing but a Condy he appears healthy buy I thought I would get yalls opinions sense I'm be (I did do a little research and found this tank.is, small for it but I plan on upgrading soon

Edit: I did buy it so it's at home, I'm not sure how long it's been established they said it was being aggressive toward the coral in their larger tank so they moved it and sold it

Attached Files:

2. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

It looks to be in good shape. Nice extension and a good hold on the rock, funny that i started with my Condy in a 16g this is it now. 144444bcb8fbd8bbcc639f7bbb6da4f2.jpg its in my 32g i also have a bubble tip but the condy is my favourite more aggressive and potent sing yes but its never wandered once where as the BTA has done a marathon since i had it.

3. OP
    OP
    Nate05

Nate05 New Member Member

Them you I'll keep you guys updated as I add to the environment

4. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

Congratulations @Nate05 Nice 'nem.:)

5. grantm91

Good luck with it, and ask anything you need if i can help i will, i sort of half know what I'm doing haha and theres a few more active salt water peeps on here.

6. OP
    OP
    Nate05

Nate05 New Member Member

@stella1979 thank you :) I'm happy everyone is saying he is well he's my first salt animal so I'm not sure exactly how different it is to keep other than the salt

7. stella1979

You're welcome.:) I think there are less than 20 really active salt members on the forum, so it's exciting for us to see a new tank getting started. I will also try to answer questions, though I am not super experienced.

First off, as far as I know all anemones are photosynthetic and carnivorous. So, it will need light and meaty foods to thrive. Did your kit come with a light?

I only have a small type 'nem and feed it brine and mysis shrimp 2-3 times a week. I'm pretty sure @grantm91 offered his condy some larger type foods, though you'd have to double check that.

Are you considering a clownfish? It would look great with that anemone.:)

8. OP
    OP
    Nate05

Nate05 New Member Member

I'm looking at a black clarkii it does have lights and they are on a timer for sun up, day, sun down, and night, I'm also looking at some cleaners and live rock but from what I've read if you can make the clown feel ::) protected he will form the bond with the nem quickly assert that I'll put rock in

9. KristaD

KristaD Valued Member Member

I may have the terminology wrong but will condi's host clownfish? The black Clarkii are cool!

10. OP
    OP
    Nate05

Nate05 New Member Member

Well I just informed that I should hold if getting more live rock till I'm ready to add it so maybe I'll just get a cleaner pack and two clarkiis

From what I've read there is a chance that condis will host clarkiis and people have had a good amount of success getting them to bond. But you are right condis don't have a natural bond with clowns because naturally they don't encounter them

11. grantm91

Do they get bigger than the occelaris ? I don't think they are suitable for a 16g, but on the nem as you got the kit second hand lights nem and all id say the lights good for the nem, i got my Condy bleached out because of the bad shop lights it was an impulse buy lol, but it began to thrive under a 24 watt Arcadia (nothing special) also that little nem should take brine, squirt some at it and it should stick to the tentacles and the nem should take it in to the mouth.
    103450892e7fef117f7e77912ecb1b45.jpg 03e5139df53d2a2ac7b6bb13807a0ca9.jpg thats it on day of purchase then a few weeks later eating. Also to get this to pair with a clown you would most likely have to intervene as they don't even come in to contact in nature as they are from different oceans I believe, also your clowns will be tank bread 99% and will probably be hosted by your power head or heater lol. I never got the urge to pair my Condy with my clowns as it was a very active hungry nem it just didn't feel right for me i never even handled the Condy since it stung me i never needed too. One last thing, the best advice with any long tentacle nem i ever got was don't over feed, don't be scared of it going hungry as over feeding is 100x worse than starving it. Feed 3 times a week max i do once. Do your own research too don't take my words as gospel this is just what I've picked up off people and off you tube trying to spot the good from the bad advice, and whats worked up to now for me.

12. OP
    OP
    Nate05

Nate05 New Member Member

I've read they require 20-30 gal but like I said I plan on upgrading very soon

13. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

Who steals a fish tank?!?!?! The audacity!!

14. grantm91

Id have had her skull for a clownfish breeding cave.

15. OP
    OP
    Nate05

Nate05 New Member Member

Omg in the last hour he did this what is wrong

Attached Files:

16. OP
    OP
    Nate05

Nate05 New Member Member

Nvm I had a friend come over and tell me hes probably just pooping it's been a few hours now and he's looking normal again

17. OP
    OP
    Nate05

Nate05 New Member Member

Got my clarkii today

Attached Files:

18. stella1979

Nice looking fish. :) Congrats!

Did your nem move? Not trying to scare you but I almost lost my first one in an overflow box and I got a little nervous about your guy's location near those vents. Though, I know nothing about your setup so please forgive me if I'm being silly.

19. OP
    OP
    Nate05

Nate05 New Member Member

Yeah he moved on his own last night I'm a little nervous about it too. But at least they don't have fans on the other side

20. OP
    OP
    Nate05

Nate05 New Member Member

I got these two guys today aswell

Attached Files: