New To Puffer Fish Need Some Help

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Right now he is young, only about half grown, so he’s at 1.004 but I will double that gradually as he grows. May even knock it up to 1.01. If I get it to 1.01 the great thing is there are several marine plants and animals that can still do well at that salinity so I can have more diversity.

Minxxy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Right now he is young, only about half grown, so he’s at 1.004 but I will double that gradually as he grows. May even knock it up to 1.01. If I get it to 1.01 the great thing is there are several marine plants and animals that can still do well at that salinity so I can have more diversity.
Ya i had hornswort that broke right apart and disintegrated with the first water change, im not having any luck finding plants for in there

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m starting to wonder if it wouldn’t be worth a shot to try some different kinds of marine algae...

Fisker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Some macroalgae might do okay, but stay away from anything calcified. You might be able to get something like Caulerpa Prolifera going in there, but it won't do great. It'll have to be dripped, too.

C.S.Aquarium

Reaction score
Sorry for such a late response I've been a bit busy the cycle finished about a week ago! Everything was great I picked up my puffer and the first few days went smoothly until my dad noticed his entire back fin was turning white. We used general cure at first but it didn't do much so we got melafix and pimafix to try and combat whatever was on his tail and sadly he didn't make it☹☹ thank you all for your help though

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry for such a late response I've been a bit busy the cycle finished about a week ago! Everything was great I picked up my puffer and the first few days went smoothly until my dad noticed his entire back fin was turning white. We used general cure at first but it didn't do much so we got melafix and pimafix to try and combat whatever was on his tail and sadly he didn't make it thank you all for your help though
Oh no! A lot of puffers don’t do well after capture (as I’m assuming he was wild caught). They come in with parasites and all sorts of ailments. Are you getting another one? Maybe from a different source?

C.S.Aquarium

Reaction score
I was debating it for a little while but I plan atm to try something a bit simpler of course I will try again but I want to do a bunch more research and save up more before trying again so for the moment I'm going to try and setup a community till I can get another tank setup

Sheldon13

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was debating it for a little while but I plan atm to try something a bit simpler of course I will try again but I want to do a bunch more research and save up more before trying again so for the moment I'm going to try and setup a community till I can get another tank setup
Aww. Sorry it didn’t work out like you planned.

tiffani

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi there I'm getting into puffers and im deciding between two. The avacado puffer and the figure 8 puffer. Ive asked my local LFS and they said the avacado would do ok and be on his own due to agression. But the figure 8s are kept in freshwater. I have the option to buy a 20g long or a 29g tank and have a 60 gallon sponge filter on a 55 gallon air pump. If I do get the figure 8s I was told 2-9 in a 29 gallon is this true? Also how would I go about acclimating a figure 8 to brackish should I get them out them in fresh water and slowly add salt over a couple weeks or a month? Sorry this is long trying my best with my favorite type of fish

Hello
Avacodo puffers are totally freshwater, figure 8 puffer is brackish water(semi saltwater fish). Avacodo puffers are harder to find, but will be easier for you to care for if you don’t want to do the saltwater tank. I had green spotted puffers & Amazon puffers for years- 2 separate tanks. IMO You can put either of them in 20 gallon on up, 29 is fine. I used instant ocean & hydrometer & slowly acclimated my GSP over time, cause if their swimming from fresh to saltwater- the salinity gradually changes. Keep their water immaculate, if their bellies turn black, their sick. Keep in mind, with the figure 8 , you’ll have to add salt every water change, measure salinity on regular basis, water test, etc. I kept my GSP with mollies, no problems.
the freshwater puffers are a little bit easier to keep.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom