New to Ponds

EdmGuppyGal

I bought this property and moved in the end of Nov 2020 when winter was in full gear (lots of snow). The pond here is 750 gallons and was put in when the place was built in 2012. Originally there were Koi in the pond but a Pelican ate them (how it ended up in the Prairies of Canada is unknown). Anyway there are a handful of good sized Goldfish that live in the pond year round. Yes, they hibernate under the ice and go without food 6 months of the year. But they're healthy & robust! I'm excited about summer arriving and need to learn all I can about maintenance, best products to use and which are the best and showy water plants that gives the best bang for your buck. Now remember I'm up in Canada where it's zone 3 at best. The pond does face SW so it gets good light. I will be hooking up the pump for the waterfalls so there is good water circulation. I would appreciate any and all advise. For now I'm going to read up the rest of the pond links here...

MoshJosh

I’m not a pond expert nor am I an agricultural zone expert. . . but I like water hyacinth, hardy water lilies, and lotuses. . . Not sure how they will do in your area though. . .

Upvote 0

EdmGuppyGal

Yes a water hyacinth is on my list to get this year. It's too cold here to overwinter them unless you put them in your basement in an aquarium.
I do have a couple water lillies starting to send up a small leaf... Looks like some yellow flag and some water irises will be coming back as well.
I tried to buy some annual water lilies last week but it's too early in the year to buy them here. C'mon summer!!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
aoiumi
Replies
Views
vernonRSA
Replies
Views
gremlin
Replies