New To Plants

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Ry Bautista, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Ry Bautista

Ry BautistaNew MemberMember

hello, I’ve been Fishkeeping for two years and I just upgraded my tank to a 55 gallon. It has 3 common goldfish, 5 skirt tetras and 2 large fancy oranda goldfish. I want to add plants to this tank and remove all the plastic ones. Which plants do you suggest for goldfish? I also want to add a pleco but I’m not sure he can go in with the amount of fish in the 55 right now. I do not have lights for the tank yet but I am going to get some LED strips, will those help the plants or should I just leave it with little to no light?

ALSO: my substrate is aquarium gravel, I wanted to get sand but the store employee peer pressured me saying it’s a pain to clean

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2018
  2. Rohit mess

Rohit messValued MemberMember

Anubias. Probably the hardiest one ever.
    Try its different species.
    Alao add duck weed or something (spinach etc) cheap to distract the goldfish from destroying anubias at start.

About sand, if you find the proper grain size its not a mess to clean.
    Only the fine sand messes up or clouds up.

3. -Mak-

-Mak-Well Known MemberMember

Goldfish like to eat plants, so I'd stick with anubias and java fern, both of which are rhizome plants and shouldn't be planted. They are instead attached to hardscape such as rock and wood.

Unfortunately all three of the commons are going to outgrow a 55, or become stunted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice