New to plants

1. jhigg008

jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Just bought anubias and vals for my low light low tech planted tank. I also got api root tabs, flourish, and flourish excel. A few questions:

1. How should they be planted? I was thinking of tying the anubias to drifwood with fishing lines.

2. Do either of these need root tabs or do they get nutrients from the water column? Should they be getting excel and flourish as well? Have both.

3. They are going to be in a fishless cycle. Anything I need to do in particular?

2. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    jhigg008

4. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

Oh nice. I'm using a Finnex Stingray. I suppose you could use the ferts if you wanted to (are vals root feeders?). There may be some balance that needs to be struck between lighting and ferts and growth of algae, but I'll defer to the planty pros. Just wanted to say that I have similar plants with no ferts added, and they're doing well so far. One of my anubias will be sprouting a bloom soon!

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Vals are root feeders and would appreciate root tabs. They should be planted in the substrate. Anubias will get nutrients from the water column.

I wouldn't use Excel for a few reasons: 1) none of your plant needs it and 2) it can melt the val.

Nothing special for the fishless cycle!

6. OP
    OP
    jhigg008

Any foreground plants that would like nice? Java moss perhaps? My hubby likes the amazon swords (or as he calls them...amazon blades). Do either of those need excel? What plants would need excel so I can stay away since i have vals

7. martini4

martini4 Valued Member Member

I have micro swords in the foreground, they look really nice. I just dose with Flourish but they are planted in eco-complete substrate so the root tabs would help them. Same for the Amazon sword, but put that guy in the background cause he'll get big!

8. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't know of any plants that need Excel per say, but some do have higher CO2 requirements that can only be satisfied with injected CO2. None of the plants listed so far need CO2 though.

Java moss is hard to get to carpet. Dwarf sag, Staurogyne repens, Crypt parva, etc. are good low light false-carpet plants.

Amazon swords will be fine without Excel.

9. OP
    OP
    jhigg008

What do you mean when you say "false carpet"? Why is java moss hard just curious

Edit - what is this on my val?
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1467507924.602499.jpg
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1467507943.179176.jpg

10. martini4

martini4 Valued Member Member

A true carpet plant will grow across the substrate via a root system. The "false carpet" will just have the appearance via large, short plants. The Java Moss won't really carpet because it floats unless it's tied to something i.e. driftwood.

Not sure what is on your Val, I have no experience with them. Is it attached like a plantlet or bud?

11. OP
    OP
    jhigg008

Gotcha.

Yeah it looks like a bud.

12. OP
    OP
    jhigg008

Just realized - are plants finicky about water temp? I am going to be at like 86 F while cycling