New To Plants Need A Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TombedOrchestra

Valued Member
Reaction score
I got a fish tank several months ago. All has been going well.

I need recommendations on what kind of plants to put in my tank.

It's a 55gal, gravel substrate. Has 4 large 'rock' structures and several small decorations (little chests etc). Stocked with guppies, mollies, platties, tetras, snails. And soon most likely a pleco.

Right now I have one amazon sword, an anubias, and something else. I have no idea what I'm doing.

I'd like plants that would conceal fry as I'd prefer them to not get eaten by the other fish. I don't know how many plants to get and where to put them (Large in back, small in front?) ... How many would be good for my set up / concealing fry?

I appreciate the help. I know a lot of this is 'preference' but, any point in the right direction would be good.

*Bonus points for where I can get these cheap.. They're sooo expensive in the store! $7-$12 for ONE plant? ahh!

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got a fish tank several months ago. All has been going well.

I need recommendations on what kind of plants to put in my tank.

It's a 55gal, gravel substrate. Has 4 large 'rock' structures and several small decorations (little chests etc). Stocked with guppies, mollies, platties, tetras, snails. And soon most likely a pleco.

Right now I have one amazon sword, an anubias, and something else. I have no idea what I'm doing.

I'd like plants that would conceal fry as I'd prefer them to not get eaten by the other fish. I don't know how many plants to get and where to put them (Large in back, small in front?) ... How many would be good for my set up / concealing fry?

I appreciate the help. I know a lot of this is 'preference' but, any point in the right direction would be good.

*Bonus points for where I can get these cheap.. They're sooo expensive in the store! $7-$12 for ONE plant? ahh!
Plants can be as simple and inexpensive or complex and costly as you want. Lights, supplements, maintenance. A grove of crypts would be good. They are an easy plant to grow.

Good plants are not cheap, and cheap plants are not good. But you get what you pay for. I have had good luck with these people.

In the back left is a grove of crypts.
_MG_7934-Edit.0.jpg

Last edited:

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Plants? Agree with @Thunder_o_b
Happy to help but just a little over a year in. I never thought it possible to become more than an Algae Grower. LOL
We do have some Very Good Plant Veterans here, they were all very helpful.
As mentioned plenty of variables to successful "Underwater Gardening". Some questions first.
Let's start with lighting. What are you using?
Fertilizers? Are you dosing anything? Root tabs?
I started with easy, low light - Java Moss tied to a piece of slate and a Java Fern tied to a piece of driftwood.
You can check out a thread I created of my journey so far:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/my-1-year-journey.329449/

Hope this helps.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Also reccomend any floating plants, just not duckweed. They grest for fry, easy to keep and provide good refuge for fish.

Mosses would be a good choice- I hate java moss, so as always would suggest staying away from that!

Bolbitis is another good option, rather easy to keep.

Same for val!

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What type/kind of light are you using sir? Stats, brand/company, PAR, watts, etc? A few things/fundamentals in order of importance when it comes to plants: 1. LIGHTING. (PAR, company/brand, Kelvin, etc.) 2. SUBSTRATE. 3. Ferts. 4. Others/miscellaneous (high tech, CO2, ph, hardness, species, etc. no need to worry about all of that right now though, so don't worry) Amazon Sword: Most can grow very big, and are voracious root tabs eaters and pigs, so do be aware! I have to dose almost all of mine TWICE each month now, with micro and macro tabs. Anubias as great in any tank, so all good there. Very very easy. But hmmm...seems you have a lot of livebearers, so I may suggest Water Wisteria: It can be planted, OR floated, grows very fast and very well, and will also aid in your water quality (a nitrate sponge, basically), as well as provide security for your fry.

Guppy grass is also decent for livebearers, but be sure to keep it in check, as kinda like W. Wisteria, it can easily take over your tank under optimum conditions. IMO, W. Wisteria'd be my first choice. I have it in all of my livebearer breeding tanks. And some Java moss and ferns as well. (all are super easy, and super easy to propagate as well)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T

TombedOrchestra

Valued Member
Reaction score
What type/kind of light are you using sir? Stats, brand/company, PAR, watts, etc? A few things/fundamentals in order of importance when it comes to plants: 1. LIGHTING. (PAR, company/brand, Kelvin, etc.) 2. SUBSTRATE. 3. Ferts. 4. Others/miscellaneous (high tech, CO2, ph, hardness, species, etc. no need to worry about all of that right now though, so don't worry) Amazon Sword: Most can grow very big, and are voracious root tabs eaters and pigs, so do be aware! I have to dose almost all of mine TWICE each month now, with micro and macro tabs. Anubias as great in any tank, so all good there. Very very easy. But hmmm...seems you have a lot of livebearers, so I may suggest Water Wisteria: It can be planted, OR floated, grows very fast and very well, and will also aid in your water quality (a nitrate sponge, basically), as well as provide security for your fry.

Guppy grass is also decent for livebearers, but be sure to keep it in check, as kinda like W. Wisteria, it can easily take over your tank under optimum conditions. IMO, W. Wisteria'd be my first choice. I have it in all of my livebearer breeding tanks. And some Java moss and ferns as well. (all are super easy, and super easy to propagate as well)
This was very very helpful! Thank you!

I will definitely look into the Wisteria. I do like that it can be planted and floated.

No idea what lighting I have ... I used to use tabs, but stopped because my plants are doing fine now. Gravel / rocky substrate. 8.3 pH, high alkalinity.

I also love the fact that Wistera you said is a Nitrate sponge. I have issues with Nitrates... (hovers around 40). So I'd love to have something else to keep it down! How much would one expect Wisteria to lower Nitrate levels by?

Thanks again!

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depends on the size of the plant. Some have had some where it sucks up a vast majority of nitrates... others not so much. Bigger the plant, the more ferts they require! (Having a high nitrate level like that should result in fast growth!)

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The plants in the back right are wisteria. They are from a single leaf that snuck in with other plants four months ago. I have never known them to be a silver bullet for nitrates.

The 150 gallon tall.
_MG_7969.0.jpg

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well some plants do suck up nitrates fater than they produce 'em. Much of the mentality's to have ZERO nitrates. A bit of nitrates 10-20 let's say, IS a good thing. Nitrogen is a primary building block for plants. And to add, the higher the light for the more of the plants, the more ferts you'll require. 'Nuff said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom