5 Gallon Tank New to plant care; not sure if I should trim this

tapwater

I have a lace water sprite plant, and am noticing some of the leaves are browning (some photos are attached, and I can take more if needed). First off I’m not even sure how to properly trim this plant without harming it, and secondly I’m not sure if I should trim any browning leaves off or not.any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• 0A41A0CE-9EE0-4381-BCEF-625C38C8875E.jpeg
    0A41A0CE-9EE0-4381-BCEF-625C38C8875E.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 33
  • C97B1EF5-832A-4B5D-9711-5CA6373EFC80.jpeg
    C97B1EF5-832A-4B5D-9711-5CA6373EFC80.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 32

Ladymolly

Always trim browning leaves!! If they rot they can add toxins that can hurt fish

Upvote 0

tapwater

Always trim browning leaves!! If they rot they can add toxins that can hurt fish
Currently there's no fish in this tank. Does that change anything?
I've heard something about letting brown or melting leaves stay on for the plant to use as nutrients, and I'm not sure if that holds true for this plant or not.

Upvote 0

Ladymolly

I'm not positive on that, hopefully another person can come with an answer. In my experience some plants with browning have just continued browning when I don't trim it. Good that there's no fish right now so we can figure out more about it. I'm curious too because I have a cycling tank that I should trim but I might leave it for now if it works as plant food!

Upvote 0

tapwater

I'm not positive on that, hopefully another person can come with an answer. In my experience some plants with browning have just continued browning when I don't trim it. Good that there's no fish right now so we can figure out more about it. I'm curious too because I have a cycling tank that I should trim but I might leave it for now if it works as plant food!
I haven't trimmed it yet, but I have noticed it's starting to get more brown. It definitely looks worse than yesterday. I'm not exactly sure how to approach trimming it off, since I've heard with water sprite that you dont want to cut the stems, though I noticed a couple of the stems are severely bent. Not sure if I could cut those to re-shape it... Regardless, I think I'm gonna trim the browning off tomorrow.
Also, some of the roots are a dark brown color? Not sure if I should remove those, since I think that's a sign they're rotten, but I'm not sure.

Upvote 0

NevermindIgnoreMe

Following. I'm having a similar issue, I'm not familiar with water sprite. I'm leaving it for now, I usually try not to cure something that is whole or if I don't have the cure in the first place. *shrugs*

Upvote 0

Onering1

I don't know if this applies to water sprite but I have heard that you should always trim off brown leaves on any plant otherwise the plant will use its energy trying to repair it which is very inefficient and it is easier for it to grow a new leaf. You might find that the plant will grow more leaves after cutting off the brown ones. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

tapwater

I don't know if this applies to water sprite but I have heard that you should always trim off brown leaves on any plant otherwise the plant will use its energy trying to repair it which is very inefficient and it is easier for it to grow a new leaf. You might find that the plant will grow more leaves after cutting off the brown ones. I hope this helps.
Thank you so much for the explanation. I just finished up doing some trimming (going to go back and do more later, but I did trim off a lot so I’m gonna give the plant a break).
What I noticed while cutting, though, is that my plants are gonna have babies soon!!! I noticed some root structures coming off of them, and from what I’ve read that means they’re getting ready to propagate. I must be doing something right!

Attachments

• 107AF66B-DD1D-4386-952D-38315EE53CF1.jpeg
    107AF66B-DD1D-4386-952D-38315EE53CF1.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 72747CF7-8492-4022-BCB5-D8D5C6A96ED6.jpeg
    72747CF7-8492-4022-BCB5-D8D5C6A96ED6.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 19
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
B3TT45