New To New World Cichlids

CraiginWales

HI all. I had some excellent advice on keeping (initially) an Oscar in a 120 gallon tank with some Severums & Acaras when I joined the group recently.
Currently cycling a 120 gallon tank for New World semi-aggressive Cichlids with x2 Fluval 406's. Since looking further into the topic I've gone off the idea of keeping an Oscar.
I was wondering what opportunities this would open up to me? An Electric Blue Jack Dempsey & some Convicts in the Oscars place maybe? I don't know. Any recommendations welcomed, then I'd know where to start some research. I'm also really stuck trying to find an attractive, 12" max Pleco'!Thank you.

TexasDomer

Convicts can be pretty aggressive, actually, so I would avoid them.

What's the length of the 120 gal?

You could do something like this if it's 5 ft long and over 12" wide:
1x Severum
1x Chocolate cichlid
1x EBJD (usually more peaceful than regular JDs, so I'd stick with the EBJD with this stocking)
1x Pleco (lots of options; if you want some options, let us know and we can suggest some!)
15x Dwarf neon rainbows
6x Porthole cats

tyguy7760

If you still want to do acaras, you could look into a threadfin acara or perhaps a pair of blue/eb acaras instead of the JD. Another thing you could consider would be a shoal of the smaller geos along with a severum. Geos like guianacaras, red head tapajos, or cupids would work in a 5 foot tank with a severum. Might even be able to do a severum pair with some other cichlids in a 5 footer.

CraiginWales

Yeah, 5' x 1.5". Thanks for that. Lots for me to start reading up on, never heard of the majority.
EB Acaras not a necessity, will have that colour with the EB Jack Dempsey & I think they're more attractive, so.....?!! I'm feeling kind of swamped! Lol. When I kept Malawis I knew exactly where I was, spoilt for colour choice, overcrowding encouraged etc. Now I'm back to the beginning, this time covering a much, much larger species range & area!

CraiginWales

Convicts can be pretty aggressive, actually, so I would avoid them.

What's the length of the 120 gal?

You could do something like this if it's 5 ft long and over 12" wide:
1x Severum
1x Chocolate cichlid
1x EBJD (usually more peaceful than regular JDs, so I'd stick with the EBJD with this stocking)
1x Pleco (lots of options; if you want some options, let us know and we can suggest some!)
15x Dwarf neon rainbows
6x Porthole cats

Thanks TexasDomer
Had no idea you could keep dwarf neon rainbow type fish with Severums & Cichlids. I really like the look of them too.
A Pleco', yes really stuck, I like the fantastic looking black & white ones like King (something), Zebras, Snowballs etc & the more colourful ones like the gold nugget& panache only to find they'd be too big, too small or not suitable in some other way.
What would be a suitable fish to replace the Chocolate Cichlid. So far I haven't found a single supplier in the U.K. (only a quick search to be fair)
And the Porthole Cats. Is that a group of catfish or a species because I've seen Porthole Zebra Cats. Made me wonder if there were other types.
Many thanks for your help. I really like the sound of your ideas.

CraiginWales

If you still want to do acaras, you could look into a threadfin acara or perhaps a pair of blue/eb acaras instead of the JD. Another thing you could consider would be a shoal of the smaller geos along with a severum. Geos like guianacaras, red head tapajos, or cupids would work in a 5 foot tank with a severum. Might even be able to do a severum pair with some other cichlids in a 5 footer.

Thanks again. The Cupid Geos look great. How big would your shoal of them be?

vikingkirken

Depending on what your final stock is, you could consider a sunshine pleco They get about 12" and need warm water.

tyguy7760

Thanks again. The Cupid Geos look great. How big would your shoal of them be?

5 or 6 would probably be a good number. Would still give you room for a severum or chocolate cichlid I'd think.

Anders247

Single male convicts aren't that aggressive, so in my opinion you could still do one of those.

Littlebudda

Single male convicts aren't that aggressive, so in my opinion you could still do one of those.

I've found that if you have fish that leave the convicts alone they are fine. I had a pair that took over about a 1/4 of a tank but were fine with all the fish in there when I moved them into the big tank with an oscar they left him alone until he started pushing his weight around and then they gave him an absolute belting. This fighting lasted about 3 months until the oscars stopped being a total tool and left them alone at which time they set up there territory in the left 1/4 of the tank and let the oscar have his 3/4. He could have saved himself a whole lot of pain if he was a bit quicker to learn

CraiginWales

Depending on what your final stock is, you could consider a sunshine pleco They get about 12" and need warm water.

Thanks. Have looked them up. Beautiful looking fish. Did a few searches to see how easy they were to get hold of & couldn't find them anywhere!

CraiginWales

I've found that if you have fish that leave the convicts alone they are fine. I had a pair that took over about a 1/4 of a tank but were fine with all the fish in there when I moved them into the big tank with an oscar they left him alone until he started pushing his weight around and then they gave him an absolute belting. This fighting lasted about 3 months until the oscars stopped being a total tool and left them alone at which time they set up there territory in the left 1/4 of the tank and let the oscar have his 3/4. He could have saved himself a whole lot of pain if he was a bit quicker to learn

Wow! Who'd have thought the smaller ones could be like that. Remind me of Demasoni! No, I think Convicts are out. I saw a tank with a small shoal of Convict sized/looking fish. Thought they might have been albinos but must have different fish altogether!

vikingkirken

Thanks. Have looked them up. Beautiful looking fish. Did a few searches to see how easy they were to get hold of & couldn't find them anywhere!
My LFS has one right now and they ship!
www.absolutelyfish.com

Anders247

Wow! Who'd have thought the smaller ones could be like that. Remind me of Demasoni! No, I think Convicts are out. I saw a tank with a small shoal of Convict sized/looking fish. Thought they might have been albinos but must have different fish altogether!
Why are they out? You can get a single one, pairs are way more aggressive than singles.

CraiginWales

Why are they out? You can get a single one, pairs are way more aggressive than singles.
Wanted a shoaling species, thought that's what convicts were but dwarf neon rainbow's & Geos have been suggested. Can you recommend anything else. So far, for sure, Severum & EBJD, Pleco' & I'm liking the idea of 5 Porthole cats (if I can find them!).
Not stocking yet. Just trying to get an idea of what I'd like. Thanks

CraiginWales

My LFS has one right now and they ship!
www.absolutelyfish.com

I'm in the UK. Thanks anyway!

Anders247

Ah, OK.

CraiginWales

Okay. Finally come to a decision to get 2 Severums (Red Spotted & Rotkeil) OR 1 Severum & 1 Chocolate Cichlid (depends on availability, nice ones are hard to find), Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, 6 Porthole cats, & 15 Dwarf Neon Rainbows. Do I have room for another Cichlid? I was also thinking about stocking order. I thought cats, rainbows then Cichlids. Any suggestions. And thank you all for your welcomes & advice!

tyguy7760

I'd consider a 2nd eb acara. You probably have room for another cichlid if you are smart with the species

CraiginWales

tyguy7760 did you mean 2nd EB Jack Dempsey? Or maybe an EB Acara? I know what you mean with the cichlids but am not skilled with American Cichlid psychology. For example, would zoning a tank as you would for Malawis or changing the hardscape around reduce aggression or allow an extra fish?
I'm getting really confused with the term Chocolate Cichlids. That term isn't used here in the UK. Is it, I'm hoping it is because it's the fish I'd like, an Uaru?

tyguy7760

Oh sorry. I thought it was an eb acara. I wouldn't do a second eb jack

Uaru's are not the same as chocolates. Uarus do better in groups so I'm not sure I'd keep uarus with severums in a 120. I'd do one or the other.

Chocolates are hypselecara temporalis
Hypselecara temporalis (Chocolate Cichlid)

Ignore that picture though, as it's a terrible one. As adults they look very different

CraiginWales

Oh, I have seen them. Not sure what they're known as over here but I will let you know when I find out.
The EBJD, yeah, saw them & they kind of blew me away. Read that they're less aggressive than regular JD's so thought that would be a nice replacement for the Acaras. Shame about the Uaru, lovely looking fish. What was your suggestion? You said if I was clever I could have another species. Thanks btw.

tyguy7760

If you are doing 2 severums in a 5 foot 120 I'd think the single EB jack and maybe a pair of smaller cichlids like rainbows, or rams would be good. If you are going to do a jack, chocolate, and severum, then I'd probably stick with that. Will likely depend on how aggressive your sevs and your jack are. Chocolates are typically live and let live so I'm not too worried about them. Male severums can be jerks but can be completely peaceful too. While eb jacks are more peaceful than jacks...they can still be quite aggressive.

CraiginWales

I love Rams (need to look up rainbow Cichlids). They were my very first Cichlid which I kept in a basic community aquarium. I didn't think they'd be suitable for this set-up. I guess it'll have to be a case of wait & see because every Cichlids different (but that's why we love em, eh? Lol)! Thanks

Random Great Thread!

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom