New (to me) 90 Gal Tank

Shaina

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, at long last my dream has come true, haha. Today my somewhat used 90 gal tank + stand and canopy arrived!

I've just been staring at it, compiling fish stocking plans in my head, lol. The current front-runners are a planted Discus Tank with a school of say...Bleeding Heart Tets, a clown pleco, and Otos vs. an Oscar, Jack Dempsey, and Common Pleco...thoughts?

Anyway, it's just sitting in the middle of the living room til we decide where it will go, and the tank is just on 2x4s at the moment:

1. Tank stand with tie still on to keep the doors from opening while moving. the exterior is solid hickory on both the stand and canopy.

2. Tank + Canopy. As you can see from the location of the overflow, the canopy is actually on backward there...basically just put it down.

3. Decent view of the overflow setup. And the dogs.

4. Back side of the canopy, front side of tank, and back side of the stand. And one of my dog's legs through the glass, lol.

So excited!

Angela_96

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WOW!! what a tank!!! Awesome! All of your choices are great for what to put in it. Its going to be even more beautiful setup! I can't wait to see the pics!

Shaina

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Put everything together so the tank would be properly supported, so grabbed a few more pics. The marks on the glass are nose prints from the dogs from when it was on the floor...they wasted no time...

Shaina

Well Known Member
Reaction score
steveangela1 said:
WOW!! what a tank!!! Awesome! All of your choices are great for what to put in it. Its going to be even more beautiful setup! I can't wait to see the pics!
Thanks! It's even better in person than I hoped, and I got a great deal on it. This is going to be fun!

i would do a planted discus...it will require more water changes, but i think it would be well worth it as discus are such beautiful fish and seem to thrive in large planted tanks!
Yeah, I could handle water changes up to every other day without a problem (I could do every day short-term, if needed), so the time isn't too much of a problem. And I do love my plants...

Oscars seems like great fish too though, and the discus thing is just a bit intimidating by reputation. The fantastic discus caresheet by CapeKate, et al, is really encouraging though. I think my biggest problem would be a supplier, as the discus I've seen locally are less than impressive, and I am yet to find any breeders in the area.

I'm looking around for a used 29 gal now, to make a sump. This is going to be a long project I think, lol.

rifter098

Valued Member
Reaction score
lol...im sure it will be well worth it in the end...i 90g planted discus is like my dream tank lol

another tetra that looks really good with discus is the rummynose tetra...their white bodies contrast really nicely with the plants and discus colors

Shaina

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I love it and I am definately jealous!

lol...im sure it will be well worth it in the end...i 90g planted discus is like my dream tank lol

another tetra that looks really good with discus is the rummynose tetra...their white bodies contrast really nicely with the plants and discus colors
I love the rummynose too...and they seem to school so well. My concern is with their size...was afraid they would be too small and the Discus would view them as a lovely morning/midafternoon/evening/midnight snack...

I would hope to be getting my discus in the 2-3" range, not as adults, if that makes a difference.

rifter098

Valued Member
Reaction score
ive seen them with full grown discus in a 55, and i havent heard of any problems between the 2...and having them grow up together would also lessen the chance of them becomming dinner

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
and of course im going to say oscars all the way ;D ....not sure the personalities of discus, but oscars are puppies of the fish world! ....that tank is just beautiful though no matter what you decide...congrats!

Shaina

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Haha thanks for the input guys. The "puppies of the fish world" thing always makes me laugh though, as I already have real live puppies...

There will be a cichlid of some sort though. I finally moved my new Angelfish from the quarantine to the 29 gal, and he cracks me up...very bold and personable...I love it lol

Martinismommy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is a BEAUTIFUL tank! You will have a blast setting it all up.....I'd love to see the completed project....

Have fun!

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
That looks like it's the same as our 100g tall we had. It was really hard to clean properly for me. I have a bad right shoulder/neck area, and just about fell in every time...my right side of my chest always dipped in the tank. Had to stand on a stool to work in it... I am 5' 4". lol Not a good size for me at all.

I love love the canopy and stand...looks classy.

Shaina

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That is a BEAUTIFUL tank! You will have a blast setting it all up.....I'd love to see the completed project....

Have fun!
thanks! It's going to be a long process as I accumulate all that I need, but I'll be sure to post construction pics when I get to that stage!

That looks like it's the same as our 100g tall we had. It was really hard to clean properly for me. I have a bad right shoulder/neck area, and just about fell in every time...my right side of my chest always dipped in the tank. Had to stand on a stool to work in it... I am 5' 4". lol Not a good size for me at all.

I love love the canopy and stand...looks classy.
Thanks

Yeah that sounds like a pain I'm 5'8", but I will still need to stand on a little step stool I think, as the bottom of the canopy doors are at 5'...I'm really glad I got that extra long set of SS tweezers...that's going to come in handy I think

Allie

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Yeah that sounds like a pain I'm 5'8", but I will still need to stand on a little step stool I think, as the bottom of the canopy doors are at 5'...I'm really glad I got that extra long set of SS tweezers...that's going to come in handy I think
Yup...another great invention next to the Python.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom