New To Me 55 Gallon Planted Aquarium Build Idea

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by CliffordBozarth, Jun 29, 2019.

1. CliffordBozarth

CliffordBozarthNew MemberMember

Image1561833575.319063.jpg

Crude caveman drawing of 55 gallon tank idea. I would love thoughts and opinions on stocking ideas and would love some input on plants to use. The Gouramis are Blue Gouramis, Male and female pair. It also has a Fluval 305 filter. Anything else I should be getting? I know I don’t need air stones for the Gouramis are Labyrinth fish and prefer a calmer surface. This is my first “big” aquarium and I am super excited about it but I want to do it right. Was planning on sand, soil, and gravel substrate in that order bottom to top. Also, could use input on that.

2. OP
    OP
    CliffordBozarth

So, I’ll write out fish stock because my handwriting is even worse on camera.
    2 Blue Guarami’s (male and female, non- negotiable, came with the tank)
    3 AmanO shrimp, clean up crew
    3 Mystery Snails, clean up crew
    14 neon tetras, would love to see what a school of this size would be like.

The kind of tetra I get is negotiable. I only ever see neons but would be open to other cool suggestions.

3. OP
    OP
    CliffordBozarth

The kind of tetra I get is negotiable. I only ever see neons but would be open to other cool suggestions.

4. AmStatic

AmStaticValued MemberMember

Rummynose tetras are tight schoolers and have interesting color/patterns.

Harlequin Rasporas have a bright orange amber and black that might contrast the blue of the Gouramis..

Amano shrimp are awesome.. they get to be a good size are super non-aggressive

5. OP
    OP
    CliffordBozarth