New to lizards

1. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Hi all! So.... I have this tank.... lol I think we've all heard that before.

I have this tank. It was originally a terrarium, and I turned it into a fish tank. Well now those fish are being euthanized, and I'm pretty sure the tank is cursed lol. So I'm not going to put more fish in it.

It's a ten gallon tank with a screen mesh lid. I'd love to keep some reptiles in it, but I'm not sure the ones I want are okay for such a small tank. My ideal lizard is a pair of African Fat Tailed geckos. They can apparently get to 9" in length as adults and have some (to me) odd care requirements. For instance I'm reading from one source that only one side of the tank should be heated, which would mean a small under tank heater in this case. But my apartment is rarely below 70 F since it's summer, and I'm also reading that anywhere from 70-90F is a good temp for them.

This is all assuming they can even be kept successfully in a ten gallon tank. If they can't, does anyone have suggestions for some very easy-to-care-for non-aquatic scaley things I can keep in the tank?

I'll probably use the anubias that was growing in the tank as a terrarium plant, near the water source so it gets nutrients and such. Might as well since it can never go in a fish tank again.

I've thought of tree frogs and chameleons for alternatives.

2. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Hi junebug! I'm a huge reptile person and love every single one of them, it makes it hard for me to just keep a couple lol ;) anyway lol yes they need a hot area and cold area. Honestly I don't think they would be happy in a 10 gal for too long. You could of course get them as babies and upgrade later :) never get 2 males it causes problems. A pair OR 2 females would work, and this is if you even want 2. Hope I helped alittle bit on that..

A tree frog terrarium would be awesome!! I've never done it before but I've always wanted to. And the smaller species would do well in a 10 gal.

I'm sorry to hear about your fish :( I remember hearing about it in your other thread.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks! Yeah, round one of euthanization is today :(

I was surprised to find specialty sites stating they could live happily in a ten gallon as an adult pair, given the size. I might try getting a few babies and selecting a pair (or girls) and upgrading to a 20 gal long later.

I'm going to petco tomorrow. Might have to see what they have in the way of tree frogs (I absolutely adore frogs). I have the wood to make an amazing habitat for them, so that would be incredibly cool. The only thing that might be an issue would be keeping humidity in the tank. I might look into alternative lids, as I think the mesh would be an issue for keeping in water. I covered it with plastic wrap for the fish, but it's already begun rusting from that :/

4. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

That's tuff :(

Yea you know they would be ok in a 10 gallon for life but they wouldnt thrive, and that's what we all want our pets to do right?? Lol that would be a great idea for them, they would love the 20 long.

As for the frogs, it would be amazing to have a fogger and everything. But you are right, it would be hard to keep the humidity in unless you had the fogger constantly running, and it would make the room they are in VERY humid. You could cover half with plastic wrap but again the rusting.. hmm

Go to petco and see if you fall in love with some of the frogs or realize you would rather have lizards. That's what I do.. but be carefull because you might just end up with both :p

5. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Haha yeah, MTS is spreading to reptiles and amphibians lol.

Hmmm... soo.... what species of tree frog would do best in a ten gallon? I don't want to get there and decide I love the frogs only to find out they get to be 5 inches long or something lol.

I do have a lot of manzanita and oak wood around me, so I can make a nice hardscape and plant it well to mimic a tall tank (I think anyway) so hopefully that would make up for the tank not being super tall. I can easily look into having a new lid made, I had one custom made for one of my fish tanks and know where to get that done.

6. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Haha yes MTS is winning and not only with fish. I want more reptiles now too.

I'm not huge into frogs info wise, but eastern dwarf tree frogs are tiny, not even reaching an inch lol but are cute and green and I've seen them at a local reptile shop before. Also poison dart frogs would be awesome! They are amazing in person if you have never seen them up close. I would recommend looking at petco and see what they have, do research, then get them when you are all setup.. Always do research first. But of course you know that ;)

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

A ten gallon is good for a juvi fat tail. It's just not large enough. As for the UTH, they need belly heat to digest their food. Air temps have nothing to do with that. Geckos are awesome, but I'd recommend a 20 long for long term housing.

For frogs, bumble bee toads have to be the cutest little creatures that ever hopped the earth.

If you do decide to get into reptiles and amphibians, do not buy from a chain store. Buy from a reputable breeder. Reptile shows are a great place to start. Pet store stock are often full of parasites and diseases, which can be difficult for new keepers to keep alive. Not a road anyone wants to go down!

8. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Yes!! I agree. Chain store reptile stock is like fish stock in chain stores. It depends on the store of course because some petcos do amazing with their reptiles, but a breeder is always better imo.

So if you get something from petco be VERY picky.

And yes the bumble bee toad is the cutest!!! I forgot about those little cuties, and Idk how!! :p

9. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, I'm going to just look tomorrow at Petco and gather some info. I'll be buying from the interweb when the time comes, but I figure my local Petco is good for decor, substrate, and care sheets that at least tell me what to feed the animal and how big it gets. My local shop is pretty good with their fish, and I know they take good care of their reptiles too, but the kid (and I mean that literally) who runs the two departments is kind of incompetent. It's the other employees that keep stuff alive lol. Joking aside though, they will be a decent place to start looking at tank setup and the basic care stuff.

I will definitely keep an eye out for those little froggies and the toads (I do love toads too). Again I may still end up going with the geckos and just getting babies for now. I have several HUGE tubs I can move them to temporarily if they start to outgrow their tank. The main potential problem is getting electricity to the habitat to heat it, but I think I have a solution for that already, we'll have to see how it goes.

Thanks so much for the help, you two :)

10. emmynk Well Known Member Member

Froggies!! :) or maybe anoles? I think those can be kept in a ten, I've always wanted them but I can't do the cricket thing.

11. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Okay, Bumble bee toads really are the cutest things ever! And because of my no A/C situation, may be the absolute best fit for my apartment. They appear to be super tolerant of wide ranges of temperatures and humidity (which can be an issue for me) and in my place, won't require a light or heater.

OMG they are so perfect for this tank! I will probably go hunting around for info tomorrow and start setting up the vivarium. After mega sanitization from the fishes. Good thing I stocked up on rubbing alcohol not far back LOL.

Akari_32 how many would you suggest for a 10 gallon tank? Josh's Frogs says 4-6, not sure how accurate that is yet. I will definitely not stock it up to full right away. Apparently they breed quite readily in the right environment :/ lol.

12. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I seem to recall the same numbers. They're small enough that you may even be able to do a few more if you wanted.

13. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Me: calls the local reptile store to ask if they carry bumble bee toads.
    Reptile guy: there's no such thing.
    Me: yes there is...
    Reptile guy: do you mean poison dart frogs? I've never heard of a toad.
    Me: never mind...

Lol. Nice to know how incompetent they are.

Thanks so much for the help! You guys rock!

14. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

Hahaha that's funny. :) I'm sure you will find them somewhere.

15. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Petco sells them locally. I'm sure another store will as well, and there are always shows and online.

16. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

I'm going to the show this weekend and am super excited. You should look there for some variety also!

17. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

If I'm awake on Saturday after working at the cracks of dawn from now until then, if might drop by

18. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Shows are awesome! You should definitely go ;)

19. Fishboy123 Member Member

I think a fat tailed gecko or a leopard gecko is a good choice. But I wouldn't put a pair that's sorta cramping it. Both these species care is about the same just fat tails need a bit more humidity

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

20. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

Fishboy123, given that both get nearly as long as the tank, I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping either species in a 10 gallon. I'm going with the toads. They are adorable and almost perfectly suited to the climate where I live.