New to live plants- is quarantining a thing?

• Thread starter jacgia813
  • Start date

jacgia813

I've never really used live plants before, but want to give it a try. I suppose I'm a little late asking this, as I already put my plants into a new tank I've just started cycling, but are we supposed to quarantine plants the way we do fish? If so, what is the process that should be followed? I have Christmas moss and a few marimo moss balls in my new tank. I'll be adding the ammonia tomorrow to officially begin cycling, and then adding a pair of Thai orandas once the cycle is established (praying the don't eat the moss- we'll see lol). Did I mess up by putting the moss in their tank without quarantining it first?

smee82

A lot of people will either qt or dip plants before adding them but you should always at least put them under running water for a few minutes

jacgia813

smee82 said:
A lot of people will either qt or dip plants before adding them but you should always at least put them under running water for a few minutes
I rinsed everything pretty thoroughly before adding them into the tank. Should I worry? It'll likely be awhile before adding in the fish since I'm just starting the cycling process, but I don't want to do anything that could end up harming them. I wish I would've thought about this before putting the moss in.

smee82

Most pathogens can only live for around 2 weeks without a fish host so you should be ok but you might of introduced snails

jacgia813

smee82 said:
Most pathogens can only live for around 2 weeks without a fish host so you should be ok but you might of introduced snails
Gotcha. I'll keep my eyes open for any. Thank you!

Top Bottom