New to lighting

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Lighting' started by Theman1, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Theman1Valued MemberMember

Hi everyone, I'm planning on setting up my first fowlr tank on a 40 gall on breeder. The other day I traded for this light. I traded a 29 gallon tank that I had. What can I do with this light? It is an evergreen 156watt leds. Currently i am only going to do fowlr but would like to have corals.

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

You traded a tank for that light? That's a good deal. That light should grow a few good corals

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Theman1Valued MemberMember

Ya haha. I figured it was a good deal. He was asking $50.00 but he said he would trade for the 29 gallon. I paid $29.00 for the tank at petco. I'm glad it will grow some corals. Like I said I'm brand new to saltwater. Right now I'm trying to gather all of my equipment.

4. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Nice! Well you're all set for lighting :). I want a similar fixture like that one for my reef

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Theman1Valued MemberMember

Nice I guess I got a pretty sweet deal then haha.

6. SlugWell Known MemberMember

Is it white and blue LEDs or full spectrum? Guessing white and blue by the double switches and knobs on top. Seems like a pretty good trade to me on the surface, don't know much at all about that light specifically though. But considering you can find another 29gal for less than $50 if you needed I'd say its a good deal. Looks dimmable so that's a good thing.

7. Theman1Valued MemberMember

I believe it is full spectrum. It has blue,viiolet,white, neutral white,warm white,deep red and green.

8. SlugWell Known MemberMember

Oh, very well, sounds like full spectrum to me! Even better! Should open up what you can keep a bit then. Depending on how high it's mounted above the tank and how deep the tank is of course. You should be able to keep most everything to an extent in a 40 breeder with that. I probably would start at about 8-9" to 12" off the surface of the water and adjust from there.

EDIT: I should note that you will have to check spread too, you may have enough to light the sides on a 3ft tank, you may only have 2ft of spread. Just something you have to look at when you setup to place corals accordingly.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  9. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

You can get a 29 gallon for $29. Not a nice rimless, but a 29 none the less. You got a great deal on that.

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.

10. Theman1Valued MemberMember

Awesome this is great to hear. It may take me a couple months to get everything together. I still have to get an rodi unit, protein skimmer, and live rock. My wife may divorce me if I went out and bought everything at the same time haha.

11. Theman1Valued MemberMember

Well I got the light hung up. You are right about the spread. This is how it looks right now. Im going to be getting a bunch of cured rock this weekend to fill out the tank. After I have done more research I will be adding corals.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice