New to large tanks...i have some questions

Fishstery

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey everyone!

So I'm starting to get bored with my 2 tanks (3 less than I originally had since I moved) and I've never kept a tank bigger than 20 gallons. I've decided the next tank I do will be a minimum of 29, but I'd really like to try a 55. So heres some questions maybe some of you can answer before I get into this.

The tank will be going in the ground level basement most likely (except in the wintertime we have a pellet stove in the same room that really gets the room hot but I'm doing tropical fish either way so I dont see the room temp exceeding 85 degrees anyways) if I do a 55 or even a 75, do I need to have any special testing done to the floor to make sure it can withstand the weight? Or will I be ok since it's a ground level floor?

I would really like to do either angelfish or discus. I'm scared to try discus because of their water requirements and with a full time work schedule I dont have time to do twice a week water changes. How many angelfish can go in a 55? How many discus (full grown)? Can I get away with once a week 25% on a 55 gallon discus tank?
How often should I do water changes in a NON DISCUS 55 or 75? If I get something smaller than a 55 (like a 20-30 gallon) how many angelfish can i do?

My stock will either be angelfish or discus, with either threadfin rainbows or cardinal tetras, and german blue rams.

Will I need a wavemaker in a 55 or 75? Or will a UV with a power head be enough to move more current around? (I'm going to use a canister filter btw)

If I get a big tank, I'm going to buy a python hose to make the water changes easy. Would there be a big difference at that point between a 55 and a 75? Maybe I could do a 25% every two weeks in a 75 if I only had 3 or 4 adult discus? How does everyone add water conditioner when using a python?

Any other thoughts, advice, opinions would be so appreciated!! Thanks fish friends :)

Fishstery

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
How can I keep discus but do every other week water changes? And how much would you recommend weekly in a 55? Btw I've read some things on here where people say in a tank as big as a 75 50% once a month water changes are enough? Would this hold true if the tank was a) slightly understocked b) over filtrated and c) planted?

Fishstery

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So just so everyone else can chime in, let's say I have a fully cycled planted 55 with a larger filter than needed for tank volume. Stock would be 5 adult discus, a school of 20? cardinal tetras, and 2 or 3 pairs of rams. Could I get away with once a week 25% water changes? Feel free to adjust the stock numbers for me as I'm not so familiar with stocking for tanks of this size. Any other stock ideas for a 55 gallon angelfish/discus tank are welcome too :)

Btw I would also consider a pair or single of red jewel cichlids in a 55, if anyone has any information on keeping them in a community. I really dont want a tank where I can only keep one or two aggressive fish.

Donthemon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So just so everyone else can chime in, let's say I have a fully cycled planted 55 with a larger filter than needed for tank volume. Stock would be 5 adult discus, a school of 20? cardinal tetras, and 2 or 3 pairs of rams. Could I get away with once a week 25% water changes? Feel free to adjust the stock numbers for me as I'm not so familiar with stocking for tanks of this size. Any other stock ideas for a 55 gallon angelfish/discus tank are welcome too :)
So at least 50 % once a week for discus. I do once a week 75% for my 75 gallon discus. They like fresh water!

saltwater60

Valued Member
Reaction score
That is overstocked and would need more water changes to handle that bioload. Discus are big fish and rams aren’t usually super small either.

Fishstery

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well after adding up costs of equipment, substrate, fish, and plants to fill a secondhand 65 I was going to buy I have decided even though it's definitely within my means to set one up I'm just not down to drop an easy $1,000 on my aquarium hobby atm. Good news is my coworker has a 29 gallon tall with glass lid he is just giving me for free, and tank stand prices are much cheaper and also would require about half the substrate and plants, and needs smaller, cheaper driftwood. My coworker and I also went in together on some very interesting and rare angelfish we found on aquabid. We each bought 2 which will be going in his 65 until my 29 gallon is set up. Eventually I would like a pair of black knight rams in there too, which my LFS has some very dark very high quality ones for $35(?!)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom