New to large fish... 180 Gallon Tank

1. Adoinc Initiate Member

I'm ready for my new fish tank soon and I just though I should plan ahead. I don't know much about large fish and have only kept fish that grew to 4-5" before and thought I should try something new. I know that these fish are going into the tank:
    1x Red Oscar (Or Lemon)
    1x Leopard Sailfin Pleco
    I do not know much about their compatibility but hopefully I can get some suggestions. If you have any ideas feel free to respond. (I was thinking some type of large schooling fish, but we'll see.)

2. bellachan Well Known Member Member

How big is your tank? That's helps alot with fish compatibility (to some extent lol). Oscars are so cool! :)

3. Adoinc Initiate Member

My tank is 180 gallons. Sorry forgot to mention. 72" x 24" x 24"

Maybe Red Hook Dollars... Those look nice.

4. bellachan Well Known Member Member

Well you definitly have the room lol! As for fish that go with Oscars I can't really help. I have never owned or worked with them. So hopefully someone who has experiance with Oscars can help! Good luck and you must post pictures of your tanks when it is cycled and stocked! :)

5. Adoinc Initiate Member

Ok. Thank you for your input. I'm sure someone has kept oscars on this forum.

6. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

The oscar, pleco, and silver dollars will be fine. You have room for quite a bit more. Other South American cichlids would work. A Flagtail Prochilodus, tin foil barbs, bichirs.. All of those would go with the oscar, pleco and silver dollars, and would fit in a 180. You have a few options.

7. Adoinc Initiate Member

Updated Stocking Idea:

1x Oscar
    1x Sailfin Pleco
    1x Flagtail Prochilodus
    9x Red Hooks

And maybe 2x Lima Shovelnose

I'm not sure about the Flagtail Prochilodus because I've heard conflicting horror stories with them and I'm not sure if they're worth the trouble. They sure are nice though. I've heard they kill each other as well as their tankmates off at a slow pace.

I am looking for fish that live in slow-medium flowing white-water (as opposed to blackwater, not rapids or anything) streams that are highly oxygenated (clear water not blackwater) just like an Oscar so they will all thrive. I know the dollars, pleco and oscar all live in the same type of habitat so any fish that thrives in similar conditions would be ideal.

8. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Prochilodus are shoaling fish. They should be kept in groups. This requires a huge tank and explains the horror stories.

Regular tinfoils will outgrow your tank, growing to about 14" and needing to be kept in a group. Red tailed tinfoils at 10" would be a better choice.

I would choose dollars OR tinfoils. You haven't got room for a shoal of each due to the hyperactive and extremely powerful nature of tinfoils (dollars would be literally thrown around in their wake. Actually with an Oscar I wouldn't keep either. Oscar's stomachs are attracted to shiny reflective silver fish... that glint as they turn provokes an attack response in a lot of Oscars, especially immature ones.

9. Adoinc Initiate Member

Back to the drawing board I guess hahahaha. *sigh Thanks for the help hampalong
    1x Oscar
    1x Pleco
    Recommend any large schooling species that the oscar wont be tempted to eat or destroy?

I was researching about the species I wanted to keep and it seems like my old stock would be ok.

The Flagtail Prochilodus apparently gets highly territorial with it's own species as it matures in a confined space such as an aquarium. SO I could keep one of those. They are pretty fast so I think they could, so to speak, "out run" an oscar.

The silver dollars are usually compatible with oscars and if they are larger than him growing up I think the oscar would treat them decently. They are also pretty fast so could act like dithers for him.

If you have had horrible experiences with any of these fish with oscars in your tank feel free to tell me.

I just want all my fish to be happy and healthy.
    :;voices

10. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

The flag tail will get as big as the oscar, if not bigger. It will not grow as fast though. And as you researched, only get aggressive with it's own in tanks that are not big enough to house more than one.

Tin foils would be fine in a 180. Not that it sounds like you want them.

And keeping some oscars and other cichlids with silver dollars myself, they do fine together.

Your stock should be fine. You actually have room for more if you wanted. I would stay away from the lima shovelnose,they get huge. But there are some other catfish you could keep.

11. Adoinc Initiate Member

I'm a HUGE catfish fan... So anything that would get along with the pleco and is a catfish is fine by me.

About the tinfoils... I literally don't know anything about them so I tried to stay away, but if they're ok then I should learn about them.

I know the flagtail gets big, but they're usually peaceful and really nice looking... Too bad that one wouldn't be happy alone.

what about Bala Sharks?

12. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

The flag tails are fine alone. They are not schooling fish. Tin foils and balas are shoaling fish, and do do better with more than one. They will be fine with 3. If you go with one or the other,with the other fish you have suggested, that will pretty much stock your tank.