New To Killifish, Advice?

Zeeth29

I've never kept killifish before but I am thinking of getting some for my empty 10 gal tall. Do you guys have any general advice? Like what species are better suited to a killifish beginner or any quirks these fish have?

Wraithen

I'd start with golden wonders since they are common and live longer. You don't have to hatch a new one or deal with the short lifespan as often. They are like little barracuda. Huge mouths in proportion to the girth of their bodies. Always make sure your top is secure! Can't stress that enough. They are mostly top water fish and looove to jump. They usually get about 3x the size you see in a fish store. My male escaped when my wife went away for a week but the female was a tank. Survived my daughter dumping all the fish food into the tank and it wasn't discovered until the next morning. That fish was almost impossible to kill it seemed. 3 years old and still alive in someone else's tank. They are pigs and eat everything. They also like to explore. They roam the tank when they aren't trying to find food at the top. Fun fish. Pretty interactive for such a small fish. They will learn to recognize you and expect food when they see you.

Rojer Ramjet

GardnerI Killifish are really pretty - I've a pair of those, 4 Brazillian Jeweled and one American Flag; the Flag killI is really aggressive.

chromedome52

Golden Wonders will outgrow a standard 10, much less a tall. Tall tanks aren't really suited to killifish, or much of anything else for that matter. However, GardnerI are probably one of the most adaptable species, and would likely do well. They are not picky eaters, flakes and frozen foods are taken readily.

Rojer Ramjet , exactly what species is your "Brazilian Jeweled"? There are a lot of killies from Brazil that could be described as "Jeweled".

Rojer Ramjet

Rojer Ramjet , exactly what species is your "Brazilian Jeweled"? There are a lot of killies from Brazil that could be described as "Jeweled".[/QUOTE]

Wish I knew; I've found only a few references to them in scholarly articles (the are not golden wonder kili), but there seems to be no actual consensus as to what they are. lol

Zeeth29

Thanks for the info everyone!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Bruinfishkeeper1
  • Question
Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
5 Gallon Tank Killifish?