New to keeping fish- need advice on unknown fish and care

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Sturty, Dec 8, 2012.

1. S

Sturty Valued Member Member

First up a big thankyou to everyone on here i've been reading everything i can find on freashwater fish keeping over the last two days.

Short story, i recently recieved a 6foot long twin tank (two 3 foot 200L) setup from my partner for an early christmas gift :)

Heres the problem, im use to keeping yabbies and looking after them is easy and simple just some rain water and a simple bubble/ sponge filter and they (3 of them) were happy.

So a couple of days ago i filled one tank with treated tap water dropped some large river rocks in and place the yabbies in. I went down to the local pet store to get some small stone media for the bottom and some ornaments for some new yabbies to hide in
    BUT
    When i got there the store was packing up and closing down AND some was there dumping/surrendering their complete tank and fish setup
    So ended up leaving with 10kg of brand new substrate? Two ornaments from his tank and 8 of his fish that noone identified
    I think i have 1 red eyed tetra and 7 blood fin tetra but im not sure. I'll post photos in a minute

Now i have no idea what to feed them, what sort of hours the tank light should be on and what water conditions they need.
    I have a master api? Test kit ordered but one have it for a week so i cant give water conditions sorry.
    I didnt clean the ornaments or old substrate (half a cup full) in ean effort to kickstart the cycle.

These are my first ever fish :) any advise good or bad is appreciated
    Cheers

The tank
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The red eyed tetra?
    [​IMG]
    The red or blood finned tetra?
    [​IMG]
    And the yabbies
    The largest of the 10 is anout 6inch long and named Rex :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
  2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Thanks for sharing and welcome to Fishlore :;hi2

3. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:) Valued Member Member

Your new tank has the most beautiful stand! I've never seen a split tank before, but it's a great idea - gives you so many options! The only thing is you don't want to put your fish supplies on the shelves. You need some fish/water related decor to put there. Hide the fish stuff where ever and make the stand the focal point of the room. It's that stunning!

Can't say for sure, but you def have tetras, there. Any decent flake food would be good for them. I'm sure they'd like frozen bloodworms & such, too. IDK about the blue lobster - never had one. He might be the reason for the ragged tail on the tetra in the 4th pic. A recent member posted about a betta (if I remember correctly) that was caught by a lobster and half eaten. He's gorgeous, but he's pretty big. You might want to post a question about invertebrates in this forum to get more info on keeping them.

Keep us posted with pics as you put the new tank together. Can't wait to see it! Sooo jealous!

4. S

Skysong87 Valued Member Member

The first pic I believe is a red eye tetra but the second lot look like White Cloud Mountain minnows.

For food I like the New Life Spectrum pellets, specifically the Thera +A for small fish (example:   )

As for other important things:
    What type of filter and filter media do you have with the fish?
    Do you have a heater?
    Do you have any live plants in there?

If you don't have any live plants I'd say leaving the lights on around 6 hours would be ok, too much light and you might encourage algae growth. And if you don't have any live plants then you could always think about getting some! They're beneficial and some types are hardly any extra work at all.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  5. OP
    OP
    S

Thanks for the kind comments :)
    The yabbies arnt a problem ive had rex for nearly two years so far and ive got them sussed. They love veggies and unfortunatly snails so i can put snails in. Being that they armt wild caught yabbies they've never seen fish and havent payec attention to them yet but im keep a close eye on them.
    The tetra with the ragged looking tail but it isnt damaged that section is just missing colour, maybe from a previous injury?

6. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

I agree with the IDs.

Those small crayfish will get eaten by the big one. Crayfish are notoriously cannibalistic, and my experience falls in line with that. Tank raised crayfish will eat fish too - it's not something they have to learn to do, although they will learn different ways to hunt your fish. Keeping them well fed is important. Tetras are very easy prey for crayfish, since they hunt at night while they are sleeping. Fish that stay in the top half of the tank at night are generally safe from the crayfish, but anything that sleeps near the bottom is at serious risk.

7. OP
    OP
    S

Skysong- i currently have a very undersized intank filter as i wasnt planning on getting fish this soon. I live in a very small town where i cant get a filter until wednesday when i go to wagga, i'll be getting a large canister filter and some plants as i dont currently have any.
    In the meantime im doing 40L water changes daily to keep the water clean
    But i do have a 150w heater that ive set up to run at 24°
    Ive really been caught unprepared but im doing my best to keep them alive until i have all the equipment.

I'll keep an eye on the yabbies and their interaction with the fish if theres any issues i'll seperate the fish into the other unused tank.

8. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

What to look for is tears in the tail fin - evidence of failed attacks. What happens is as the tail fin gets shredded, the fish's getaways get slower....

9. S

Skysong87 Valued Member Member

If you're doing daily water changes it shouldn't be a problem.

When your looking at canister filters you want to get one with at least 1000 litre per hour flow.

Also what sort of water conditioner do you have? If you don't already have it I would recommend Seachem Prime since you will be cycling with fish in the tank. It will help detox both ammonia and nitrites.

Good luck with the new setup! :)

10. OP
    OP
    S

Getting some prime tommorow when i go to the city (wagga), unfortunately the canister filter got sold even though i had it put aside.
    Instead i will now be getting two (one for each tank) blue planet internal filters rated at 2000L an hour
    Is that too big?
    Im planning to build my own canister filter over the christmas break but thats another thread

11. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Sturty,
    What canister were you looking at?

Try  , I use them regularly for most of my purchases, cheap, and quick delivery ;)

12. OP
    OP
    S

Just thought i would keep everyone updated, so far the fish are going fine. I caught a yabbie in act of stalking a fish and catching it but i disturbed him and saved the fish, all yabbies have been removed and im trying to work out where to permently locate them, i really only want to keep one (rex)
    Im going to get some more red eye tetra to make a school then leave the tank as is untill the end of january
    I plan on getting some bottom feeders and a betta fish :) but im going to try not to purchase them from a pet shop (i hate the way they store them and dont wish encourage it) id rather get one that needs rehoming :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice