New to Hobby! What light for my type of fish/plants? 20g Long

Status
Not open for further replies.

BroIncarnate

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Super new and excited about my 1st tank! (20 Gallon, Long)

I will have the following plants and fish:

Anubias, Java Fern, some sort of carpetting plant and maybe some java moss and an amazon sword -

8-10 Tetras (Neon or Cardinals)
6 Cory Cats (Panda or Albino)
1 Dwarf Gourami (have not decided on what color yet!)
1 Mystery Snail
--Later on, after the tank has been established, I am gonna try and add like 5 ghost or cherry shrimp

What Lights do you guys prefer for this situation (I don't have a lid yet and do these lights come on a lid or do I need to construct this myself?)?

Thanks for any info!!!

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
By the way, you don't need a separate thread for light, heater, and filter suggestions

For the hood and light, I'd recommend a hinged glass top (Versa or Perfecto work well) - this opens up your lighting options as you're not restricted by what can fit in your hood.

Those plants are low light, and a T5 (you don't need HO) or an LED light would work well. Look for lights in the temp range of 5000-10000 K, with 6500 K ideal for growing plants. A Finnex Planted + would work very well.

Jswin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I second finnex I I have the planted plus and ray2 on my high tech/high light planted tank. I also have some finnex stingray lights on other tanks one of which is a low tech planted shrimp tank. The planted plus should easily grow all the plants you listed.

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 30 63.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 9 19.1%

Top Bottom