New to Gouramis

1. bellabean Member Member

I bought 2 honey gouramis male & female, (or fire red honey gourami I think the tag said).

There was a few frozen brine shrimp floating around in the tank when I came home and they went nuts!
    Played around the tank and then were head to tail all night.

This am I woke and put an algea wafer (julii corys) in the tank, flaked food (platy). And they kind of just looked at me like and .....
    They haven't touched the food and now one is sitting on the bottom of the tank.

All my water paremeters are good
    PH 6.8
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 10
    temp 25

What is the best thing for them?!
    I jus got this pair last night

2. escapay Well Known Member Member

I'm sure someone else will come by and say what they would love to eat.

Just a word of fish - I don't expect my new fish to eat anything for the first couple of days since a new environment.

3. spdrbob Member Member

I got a couple snakeskin gourami last Friday , they hide out for about 3-4 days , after a couple days sneaking out to grab something quick. Now after a week they are out and finding their spot in the community and coming to see me when I approach the tank but still shy. Unlike the furiuos five redeye tetras and spike, my bolv. Ram.

4. bellabean Member Member

I had to move the platy out of the tank.
    They are ganging up and bullying it. Or should I have left it?

5. amber0107 Well Known Member Member

Odd. I have a honey gourami and it has been very peaceful. Mine eats pretty much anything I put into the tank (algae wafers, nls pellets, frozen bloodworms). It often seems to eat the food off the bottom rather than the top, though.

6. mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

I've always used spirulina flakes for the honeys I had,gouramis love that stuff! I still use it for all the fish I have at the moment.

7. davebowden Member Member

They are a very timid fish, dont worry they will settle down after a few day's:;hi1

8. pprocyg Member Member

I have 2 golden honeys and they rarely come out to partake in the feeding frenzy. I know they get food but they hide out in the back of the tank while my danios and platies go nuts for whatever is put in the tank

9. mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

having some surface plants can help, they can be shy at first so be patient. :)

10. ray_sj Member Member

My honey gouramis go nuts for frozen daphnia. They do enjoy the brine shrimp as well. They'll eat just about anything. I even catch them grazing on the zucchini I put in for the otos.

11. GuinnessLove Initiate Member

my dwarf gourumi had the same trouble the first day when i went to feed my other fish but now he's a voracious eater and loves to swim with my male platy. so don't worry he will be fine

12. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member