New to goldfish!

1. Wallaby Initiate Member

I'm contemplating getting a fancy goldfish and I have a few questions. =)

My first question is do they "need" a buddy? Or will one do just fine on it's own? I only have a 14 gallon tank to devote to goldfish-ness which I know is possibly stretching it for one, so I can't really get 2, I'm pretty sure... I have my tropical fish in my 30 gallon so that's a no go.

Do they do fine with sand as the tank substrate? I'm considering changing it to gravel since I have some white gravel (I also have black...I might mix them) and since I'm planning to get one of those double tailed, calico ones, that might look super cool... But is sand better/ok?

What kind of food is the best?

If the room that the goldfish will be in stays a pretty solid 64 degrees all the time, do I need to continue to keep a heater in the tank? Set to 69 or whatever the lowest setting is?

Do fancy goldfish do better with more swimming room or more mental engagement? I have this really awesome tree root thing that takes up a good portion of the tank and I'm not sure if I should leave that in... There's swimming room to one side of it and through the roots and stuff but, yknow...

Will it eat my Java moss? What about the java ferns that I have in that tank?

Thanks!

2. Elvishswimmer Member Member

Hi! Lots of great questions and glad you are looking into goldfish!

Fancy Goldfish actually prefer and thrive best in tanks between 72-76 temperature. They can do ok, but they just aren't as tolerant as the non-fancy ones.

I'm not so sure, but I think goldfish prefer more swimming room. They are a bit clumsy swimmers, so if you do decide to keep decorations in your tank make sure they are smooth so no accidents happen.

Goldfish are plant nibblers and rearrangers, but most people find these plants compatible with them:
    http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/Plants.html

Lots of discussion on goldfish foods. With fancies you must make sure you soak commercial foods, and go for the sinking ones over the floating ones. They have really bad digestive systems and so are prone to having swim bladder and constipation problems.
    Check the ingredients, lots of starchy foods are bad too because the bacteria in their gut ferment it, making air bubbles.
    The food that was recommended to me was Hikari Lionhead. Even if you don't end up getting a goldfish with a wen I've heard it is still good, and the high protein content is good for young fish.
    You must supplement their food with veggies as all commercial food doesn't have much fibre in it. Plus goldfish are omnivores and love their veggies just as much as their meats!
    You can also looking into your own homemade gel food. That way you know exactly what you are giving to them. There are many recipies around the internet for it.

I'm not sure if goldfish need a buddy, but you are right in saying that you can't have more than one in a 14G. You may be able to squeeze by with one in a 14G because fancies don't get that long, but it may be pushing it.

There is some discussion in the goldfish world about the best substrate. Most people go with either large gravel or bare bottom. Small gravel the fish can get into their mouth and choke on, because goldfish like to sift through the rocks at the bottom.
    I'm considering Sand in my goldfish tank now, cause I got small gravel unknowingly and already watch a fish almost get one stuck. So if I do I can let you know how it goes!

You can check out more stuff in the other sections of the website in the link I gave. There is a bunch of great information on there!

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

4. shellbell4ever Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    Your off to a good start by asking questions before getting your new finned friend :)Lot's of good anwsers above already,I'm still new to the goldfish world But i am loving them so much :) Lots of personality!!!

5. Wallaby Initiate Member

Thanks guys! The links and answers have been very helpful, and thanks for the friendly welcome. =)
    I'm glad I asked about the gravel, I totally hadn't considered the size of it and the white gravel is pretty small. o_O

I will definitely come ask more questions when I have them.

6. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Hehe welcome :p
    Should probably warn you to start saving $$ now :p I'm finding the goldfish but almost as addictive as the betta bug. My fancies are such characters :)

7. Wallaby Initiate Member

Haha I can already tell!

I bought my goldfish today! =D
    I was going to get a cute one but I ended up getting a one eyed, funky tailed one. I'm pretty sure its one eyed-ness is a birth defect because the socket looks totally clean, just normal scales. And its double tail has a major kink in it on the same side. But it is cute in a really sad sorta puppy dog way. Its name is S.E.F. aka Special Ed Fish. =P

I wasn't really planning on getting one today but S.E.F. totally ruined that plan. I got some random Aqueon Color Enhancing Goldfish Granules, is that an ok food for the time being? I'm planning on making him some gel food but I won't have the time until next weekish...

8. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

The "special" ones always seem to sucker punch me... or anything I stumble upon in the wal-mart fish section since that's usually a one time chance before they go to the big lake in the sky.

Congrats on you're new guy. Is you're tank cycled yet for him?

9. Wallaby Initiate Member

Yep! That tank is cycled and has been set up for about a year and a half, as mainly a snail tank and betta tank. I moved the snails and betta out this morning and cleaned the tank, then moved S.E.F. in. No worries.

He looks so tiny in 14 gallons! And he's already such a character, I love how he's totally not shy at all. It's kind of disconcerting after having so many other fish that hide every time someone goes near the tank. Haha

10. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Wait until he learns that you equal food :p
    Everytime I walk by my goldies they go into a feeding frenzy looking for food they think I should have dropped in. I get evil looks when there isn't any :p