New To Forum

1. mela_fish Initiate Member

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum and I am really excited to learn about fish keeping! I don't have much experience besides cycling and tank sizes. I am thinking about getting a betta soon and am very excited to be a fish owner!

2. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

3. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

4. James17 Well Known Member Member

Howwddddeeeeeeeeeee, Pull up a chair for a while.

5. jmaldo Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore. Your gonna love it here. Great knowledgeable people. Recent Betta owner myself.
    :;bananawater

6. mela_fish Initiate Member

Thanks guys!!

Does anyone have any tips?

7. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

On what specifically? I can assure you you won't regret keeping bettas. I'm a breeder myself.

8. mela_fish Initiate Member

Thanks! What size tank do you recommend?

9. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

The minimum is 2.5 gallons for bettas. I prefer 5 gallons of more. Mine are mainly in 5 gallon tanks, but I have a few in 2.5 gallons.

10. mela_fish Initiate Member

Do you breed bettas for profit?

11. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I breed bettas because I love it. I have my hopes set on IBC quality. You don't make too much of a profit off it. It's not easy for sure. I wouldn't recommend it for those lacking experience. It shouldn't be your first egg layer. It can go horribly wrong real quick.

12. mela_fish Initiate Member

I was just wondering because I wanted to get my betta from somewhere besides a chain pet store.

13. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

What type are you looking for?

14. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!!
    You are gonna love it here and all of the members are so friendly and helpful!!

15. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

You can get some really nice ones on EBay. Just make sure the seller has a good rating and is from the US.

I got two of mine on EBay, but you can find nice ones on Aquabid, and local fish stores if they carry them.
    If you ever are looking online, let me know what you're looking for and a price range and I'll keep an eye out on websites for you. (I look at the bettas on EBay every night. lol)

Remember to cycle the tank before adding a betta, though. :)

Welcome!

16. mela_fish Initiate Member

I was looking into a halfmoon betta but I don't know if I'm getting one for sure yet.

17. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

I found a double tail halfmoon plakat at my lfs aka petco.

18. mela_fish Initiate Member

Thank you so much! That would be awesome! I'll keep a look out!

19. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

You're welcome. Any idea of the color you're looking for?

If you like halfmoons, look into Halfmoon plakats. They're really nice. Here are my two:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

The make I got for $45 + $15 shipping and the female I got for $25 with free shipping.

For beginners I'd stick with short tailed bettas or female bettas. In my opinion, they're a bit more tolerant of beginner mistakes. Also way more decor options!

20. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Man I'm jealous periwinkle has such pretty colors!!