Valued Member
Reaction score
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?
75 gallons
How long has the tank been running?
2 or 3 years, can't remember
Does it have a filter?
Large HOB rated for a larger tank. No. carbon in filter. I don't generally use. carbon and make my own filters.
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? Currently, 78. I used to keep it cooler, but recently. added clown loaches.
What is the entire stocking of this tank? 14 red minor tetras. 9 white cloud minnow s, 1 red fin tetra (by mistake), about 15 gold dust mollies, 7 or 8 assorted swordtails 2 of which are males, 1 4" long fin pleco, 2 clown plecos, 2 hillstream loaches. 1 small clown loach and 3 larger clown loaches. Most of the mollies are about 1.5 inches. Most the other fish are about 2". I think we may be approaching capacity.
We are considering taking in the white cloud minnows and the stray red fin tetra. We recently found out white clouds prefer colder water and aren't really tropical. Plus, they dont seem to be schooling like they're supposed to.
Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
How much of the water do you change?
What do you use to treat your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Im not gonna lie, i should have been changing more often. Had a baby in May and have a total of 4 small children, but got back on track. So weekly ive been vacuuming 20-25gallons frof gravel. And adding about 30 gallons depending on evaporation. Water is treated with API chlorine remover.

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes

What do you use to test the water?
I don't test my water. I haven't had any problems since our initial start up. I took my water to my local fish hobby store. Not a box store locally owned and pran.

I do not know my parameters, but i can take water in if necessary.
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2×day

How much do you feed your fish?
uhhh this varies. ...i have 4 small children. Lol. They're probly a little overfeed, but not to the point there is excessive food on the bottom or cloudy water.
2×per day
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Auquadine variety flakes, mixed by store.
Wardle sinking shrimp pellets, but i ordered nls thera-a to replace them. Forum swore by it to ward off sicknesses
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
Frozen blood worms 2 cubes on Friday
Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? New black swordtail got it like last Tuesday.

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
His mouth looks swollen and stuck open. He was fine yesterday morning, but last night i noticed it. I put 15 drops of pure tea tree oil in it last night and another 10 this morning. If any one knows more about tea tree in aquariums, please let me know.I've seen somewhere some one said to add 1 drop per gallon but that sounded like sn insane amount and i didnt want to kill all my fish. Anyway his face looks a little less swollen. Mostly want to make sure its not some weird disease I've never seen or heard of. And to get some general advice.
Have you started any treatment for the illness?

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Not that i could tell. He looked really nice, but we havent had great luck with swordtails from there recently.
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Hes still trying to eat, but not chasing females or zipping around the tank. His mouth looked more swollen last night. Looks a little better thid morning. Really, i think he may have been chased into the side of the tank or something. Well i hope this is enough info. Ive been painstakingly pecking this out on my phone with no auto suggestions! Lol!

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh no, I don't think I've ever seen this?
Can you see anything stuck in his mouth?

Unfortunately, he won't be able to breathe or eat too well like that. But I can't think of a disease, so maybe just bad luck. Sorry.

White clouds prefer cooler temps, but I know of them being kept at higher temps no problems. In the summer, they are used to higher temps. Just maybe not longterm...

Just giving your thread a bump.

Loachlover357

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well after observing him and his mate(1M 1F ) almost 2days, i think we're going to take them back. Both appear to have something eating their mouths. We got them a week ago from our locally owned fish store and they are still under warranty. They also have a better chance living. The fish store has a hospital tank and i dont. All my other fish appear to be fine. Idk if anyone knows what this is or if i should be worried. Im hoping they are healthy enough not to catch it if it's contagious. I feed em shrimp pellets, aquadine flakes, and i just got nls thera-a+ garlic based off this forum suggestions.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom