New To Forum - Guidance? And Hello Question

1. filtered_light Member Member

Hi there! I am a newbie to this forum and somewhat newish to forums in general. As an aquarium hobbyist, I am somewhere in between newb and novice/intermediate.

N00b Question: How should I ask questions here? Eg, should I post questions in the beginner forum? Or create a freshwater tank build thread and confine all my tank building questions to one thread? I am mainly here to learn and ask questions about my future 28 gallon fresh water community tank. I got the tank (clear for life 28gal hex) as a great deal, so tank size is set, and it is going to be a new home for my corydoras, so definitely tropical community, but everything else is TBD. I will want to ask for advice on acrylic tanks, filters, lights, plants, snails, various fish, etc.

2. RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

Hi! Welcome to Fishlore, we're glad you joined!

If you have a specific question like, what type of lighting you want or stocking questions or something similar, just create a thread in the correct forum area. They are listed in depth on the main forum page. Now, if you want to do something exciting, like oh a tank build, then make a thread for that! :) I enjoy following different builds on this forum. :D You can create a build and ask advice on it too; I've seen people do that too. Hope that helps!

3. filtered_light Member Member

Thanks for replying! I figured it was worth asking to ensure I was respecting protocol.

4. RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

No problem! :) Glad to help!

5. ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

Welcome! And yep, open up in whatever section sounds relevant. We are a helpful community.

6. Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

Welcome aboard! I hope you enjoy this forum as well as I do.

7. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome! @RedLoredAmazon covered some of the basics.

Be sure to do some research on filter media and filter speeds. Plus how to do a fishless cycle. It will save you grief down the road.

28g tank needs a filter that is 280 gallons per hour. So you want one that is usually for a 55-75 gallon tank. Go on gallons per hour not on the box itself. More is better.

Also YouTube has a wealth of knowledge. Look up filter optimization and types of filter media. It will save you so much money in the long run.

Hope I gave you at least somewhere to start. Again Welcome :)

8. filtered_light Member Member

Thanks all! I've read up on the fishless cycling and I am currently working on fishless cycling a 5 gallon upgrade for my male betta. (Currently he is in a fairly stable 3 gallon.) I may still find questions, but I'm working on trying to do this right. :)

9. jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

Hai!!! This place is rather friendly and people here are helpful :)

Awesome you got a 5 gallon for your betta, he'll appreciate it! And good luck with stocking a hexagonal tank!! They confuse me too much hehehe ;).

10. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

11. Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to the forum!

12. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!