Help New To Fishlore!!

Fardin

Reaction score
Hello everyone!! I’m new to Fishlore but not new at all with aquariums. I have a 37 gallon Tropical aquarium, my aquarium is not at its best looks right now but I will be redecorating with many new aquarium plants!!

I do have a problem however, one of my swordtails area wider than usual and have a dark spot close to their anus now I thought they could be pregnant and a local Petco employee told me there’s a high chance it’s pregnant. Now I’ve seen many videos which describe symptoms of your fish being pregnant and all stuff like that now I need someone’s advice if my swordtail is pregnant. Thanks!!
IMG_0669.jpg
IMG_0670.jpg

Fardin

Reaction score
Thanks!!

But do you have any idea if my fish is pregnant because I think it is. Hopefully it is lol

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome. Judging from the fan shaped analfin ( female ) and being a livebearer. There is a 99.99999% chance it is in fact pregnant. Not sure how far along she is but i'm sure it's only a matter of time. Good luck!!

Fardin

Reaction score
Do you have males and females together? If so, she's probably pregnant.
I do have a male swordtail and the male and female are always together.

Welcome. Judging from the fan shaped analfin ( female ) and being a livebearer. There is a 99.99999% chance it is in fact pregnant. Not sure how far along she is but i'm sure it's only a matter of time. Good luck!!
Thanks!!!

Everyone I also put her in a net breeder just in case she does give birth.

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Everyone I also put her in a net breeder just in case she does give birth.
That can be hit and miss for a while if she gives birth soon. She could be weeks away from that, the breeder net would drive her crazy. I have plenty of swordtail fry and all the fry are born in the main tank and stay there until they get given away. Livebearers can overrun a tank quickly.

Fardin

Reaction score
That can be hit and miss for a while if she gives birth soon. She could be weeks away from that, the breeder net would drive her crazy. I have plenty of swordtail fry and all the fry are born in the main tank and stay there until they get given away. Livebearers can overrun a tank quickly.
I don’t want to leave her in the main tank because I don’t know when the fry will come and I have aggressive fish in the tank like black tetras which killed all my shrimp and some neon tetras so I get worried and I put her in the net breeder.
She did look kind of stressed so that makes me even more scared.

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don’t want to leave her in the main tank because I don’t know when the fry will come and I have aggressive fish in the tank like black tetras which killed all my shrimp and some neon tetras so I get worried and I put her in the net breeder.
She did look kind of stressed so that makes me even more scared.
If you have plenty of cover in the tank like plants either live or plastic plants you will end up with survivors. There really isn't any reason for breeding nets unless its for an egg laying fish and it's to keep fertilized eggs from being eaten. Putting undue stress on the adult female can cause her to prematurely drop her offspring which may or may not live.

Dennis57

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fishlore. I would say yes just by looking at the pictures. Now the fun begins. ( LOL ) I have 3 females and 2 males in 1 of my tanks and about 7 months ago 1 became pregnant. had 16 fry, after that like every 2 months shes pregnant again. NOT FUN ANYMORE.

Fardin

Reaction score
Welcome to Fishlore. I would say yes just by looking at the pictures. Now the fun begins. ( LOL ) I have 3 females and 2 males in 1 of my tanks and about 7 months ago 1 became pregnant. had 16 fry, after that like every 2 months shes pregnant again. NOT FUN ANYMORE.
Lol so it’s fine that I keep her in the net breeder right?

Fardin

Reaction score
If you have plenty of cover in the tank like plants either live or plastic plants you will end up with survivors. There really isn't any reason for breeding nets unless its for an egg laying fish and it's to keep fertilized eggs from being eaten. Putting undue stress on the adult female can cause her to prematurely drop her offspring which may or may not live.
I only have 2 plants and not very good hiding places
I’m redecorating soon with ALOT of plants

Dennis57

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes that's correct, you will need to get her out right after. Also I would either invest in a smaller tank to hold the new fry, or plan on leaving them in the breeder net for 2-3 months.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If this is your only tank then let the mama give birth in the main tank. You will get survivors for sure and it will keep the population down till you figure out waht your going to do when you have 55 fry swimming around going for food before the rest of the fish. Ask me how i know

Fardin

Reaction score
If this is your only tank then let the mama give birth in the main tank. You will get survivors for sure and it will keep the population down till you figure out waht your going to do when you have 55 fry swimming around going for food before the rest of the fish. Ask me how i know
I only have one plant 2 others are dead

Fardin

Reaction score
How do u know??

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom