New To Fishlore And Freshwater Goby!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Gobies' started by Cookie_goby, Apr 16, 2017.

1. C

Cookie_goby New Member Member

Hallo from Canada I am new to the freshwater goby and have some question about them. I just recently bought two pair of stiphodon percnopterygionus (gold neon dwarf goby) but one female died after two days. My question is how can I get these guys to eat prepare food like frozen food or algae wafers?

2. Zerologist

Zerologist Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

3. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

They don't eat algae wafers, they eat biofilm and the only prepared that they tend to eat is Repashy Solient Green. They are hill stream species and really need higher circulation of water than normal freshwater tanks. They also need to be crystal clear water with good algae growth on the rocks, they like lots of rocks.

4. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

Hello and welcome to FishLore @Cookie_goby !! We are glad to have you! :)

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

If you just got her, she wouldn't have starved to death in two days. If she hadn't eaten before you got her, that might have been an issue.

Just to double check, what are your water parameters (pH, temp, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)?

6. OP
    OP
    C

I saw a video on that showing they are eating a tablet that looks like algae. Anyway should I remove two of the sae so the goby can have more food to eat in the tank

I just got them for 6 days now I only seen them grazing on my lava rocks, driftwoods, glass, and gravel. My tank been running for 4 months now so therw is no ammonia and nitrities but nitrates is about 9ppm. Temp is 77.5 and ph is 7.2.

Thank you

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2017
  7. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What size tank, and what fish do you have in it?

8. OP
    OP
    C

I have two male dwarf goby and one felmale dwarf goby, a pair of apisto macmasteri, 7 cardinal tetra and 8 sterbai cory cat and two SAE in 30g long tank with some anubias in it. Filter is a ac 110 so the current is strong for the goby. For the SAE they have the same diet wuth the goby and SAE do nothing but keep on searching for food and they are kind of too big for my tank so I am consider to remove them.

9. OP
    OP
    C

Also if they like crystal clear water so that's mean I shouldn't tint the water yellow with almond leaves?

10. Sarcasm Included

Munching on gravel, rocks and glass is what they do, so they should be fine food wise. You rarely need to feed them supplemental foods if there is some algae growth. They eat the organism that feed off the algae, but I still would get rid of the SAEs.
    The sterbai prefer warmer waters than the temperate gobies, though you might get away with it if you keep it near 74. None of my hillstream tanks have heaters and the tanks which are in my basement get to 65 and everyone is happy. Same for the tetras prefering warmer water. I have 2 powerheads pushing 500-600 gph on a 20 gallon long to give you an idea of current that is idea, 20 times volume is good as well. Get a variety of rocks for them so they can hide between them and increases surface area. If you can get more, they love to be in groups of 6 or more. If you decide you don't want them you can PM and see if I can buy off you.

Definitely no on tanins from almond leaves, keep nitrates below 10ppm

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  11. OP
    OP
    C

For the temp I did some research already. It said just dont let the temp to get over 78 then is ok? Well my temp will never reach very low even I take away the heater as I am living small condo so the room temp always warm. Ya they keep grazing on the algae that is covering on the anbias and it is so fun to wAtch them doing it. I would get three more next week.

12. Sarcasm Included

You should be fine but remember that temperature contols the fish's metabolic rate and thus it's lifespan is also affected. When you get the group you will have more color changes and flairing to really show off.

13. OP
    OP
    C

I see. By the way I noticed that they will suddenly hiding in their burrow even the light is on during day time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice