New to fish tanks.

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all , I am very new to the hobby and I had been reading about fishes and setting up the tank.

I finally got the 10 gallon acquariu. And I want to set it up as freshwater tropical.
I have decorated it and now will add water and start my cycle by adding liquid ammonia.

Wish me luck !!

Thanks

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Fishtanker, Welcome to Fishlore! Congrats on cycling fishless! Good Luck!

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!
Good luck with the cyling, glad to hear you're going fish less.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey there. Welcome to fishlore

Congrats on the fishless cycle. Just be sure that the liquid ammonia is PURE ammonia, with no surfactants/detergents. I believe the ACE brand is one that is recommended in the US.

Don't forget to use a dechlorinator

Enjoy the hobby - we're all here to help.

And as one last note, be sure to use a liquid test kit such as the API master kit to measure your parameters. Test strips can be very in-accurate.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Hello & Welcome!

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks everybody !!

Yes, I got the pure liquid ammonia from ace hardware. I have the strip tests but thanks for the tip, will get the API liquid test kit.

Also I don't have chlorine in water but I will add conditioner toot before I set it up for cycling.

Pics to follow !!

Thanks

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you're more than welcome.

If you don't have a water conditioner yet, can I suggest Seachem Prime. It costs a little more, but goes a very long way. 2 drops per gallon

It is a dechlorinator (chlorine, chloramine), as well as de-toxing ammonia and nitrite. Very handy to have around in the event of a mini-cycle.

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ryanr said:
you're more than welcome.

If you don't have a water conditioner yet, can I suggest Seachem Prime. It costs a little more, but goes a very long way. 2 drops per gallon

It is a dechlorinator (chlorine, chloramine), as well as de-toxing ammonia and nitrite. Very handy to have around in the event of a mini-cycle.
Ahh ok, but actually i had bought my tank used. The guy from whome i bought it had pretty much everything. His tank was dry, so i cleaned it up and had placed it in the sun to dry it completely and in an accident the tank got cracked so i went and got a new aquarium. So now i have a brand new tank and all the stuff from that guy, including medications, conditioners, testing strips, food, net, anti-ammonia tablets ...

today i got some new decorations from the store, so was wondering before i place it in the tank do i need to wash it ? My tank is empty though, i have not added water to it yet.

Thanks.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Always wash any decorations before putting them in the aquarium. They can have dust and traces of production products.

I would rinse in warm to hot water first [no detergents], then if possible, in old aquarium water.

I strongly recommend against using anti-ammonia tablets and pH adjusters (if it came with any) Given you're fishless cycling, you shouldn't need the anti-ammonia tablets. These types of products can often do more harm than good.

While you wait for your tank to be ready, you could also start cleaning the gravel/substrate

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ryanr said:
Always wash any decorations before putting them in the aquarium. They can have dust and traces of production products.

I would rinse in warm to hot water first [no detergents], then if possible, in old aquarium water.

I strongly recommend against using anti-ammonia tablets and pH adjusters (if it came with any) Given you're fishless cycling, you shouldn't need the anti-ammonia tablets. These types of products can often do more harm than good.

While you wait for your tank to be ready, you could also start cleaning the gravel/substrate
Sure, i will not use the anti ammonia tables right now coz i need ammonia for the bacteria. I already throughly washed my substrate and dried it in the sun to be like new. I have set the substrate in the tank and almost done with all the decorations. I will add water and conditioner tomorrow and after sometime will add ammonia to start the cycle.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Given you've dried your substrate, I would suggest pouring a little (conditioned) water in the tank and leave for a about an hour or so. Fill to about 1/2" above the top of the gravel.

This will allow any dust to re-settle in the the gravel. Don't panic, this is normal as the substrate/gravel will create dust from being rubbed against itself.

Then using a saucer/plate, gently pour the rest of the (conditioned) water over the plate so as to reduce the disturbance to the gravel, which will kick up dust into the water.

It may also be easier to half fill the tank and place your decorations. As decorations also take up space, you might find that adding them when full could overflow the tank

As for the anti-ammonia tablets, personally, I would throw them out, along with any other pH type chemicals you might have.

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ryanr said:
Given you've dried your substrate, I would suggest pouring a little (conditioned) water in the tank and leave for a about an hour or so. Fill to about 1/2" above the top of the gravel.

This will allow any dust to re-settle in the the gravel. Don't panic, this is normal as the substrate/gravel will create dust from being rubbed against itself.

Then using a saucer/plate, gently pour the rest of the (conditioned) water over the plate so as to reduce the disturbance to the gravel, which will kick up dust into the water.

It may also be easier to half fill the tank and place your decorations. As decorations also take up space, you might find that adding them when full could overflow the tank

As for the anti-ammonia tablets, personally, I would throw them out, along with any other pH type chemicals you might have.
Thanks for the info, Also i was thinking should i add water first to the tank and then condition it ? or should i condition the water outside of the tank and then add it ? does it make any difference ?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello FishTanks and Welcome to Fish Lore,

Since you don't have any fish in the tank, you can add the water and then condition it.

I hope you enjoy the site!

Ken

Fishtanker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ahh ok, thanks.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads