New to fish- should I be concerned?

murphrandir

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
IMG_8879.jpgIMG_8881.jpg11824220_10206809879381510_120931039_n.jpgHello all- this weekend, my 55 gallon tank finished cycling. I took ammonia readings and did a partial water change a couple days before adding the new fish (previously there was a lone 3 inch pleco living in the tank- deceased turtle's clean-up crew) and everything looked fine. Temperature has been 78-79 F. I am using an Emperor 400 HOB filter.
After looking around at LFS, I had decided on a pair of OB peacock cichlids. Went to pick them up yesterday only to find that all but one had been purchased the day prior. So I took him home, along with a M/F pair of Haplochromis Neyererei (spelling?), and planned to return for another OB this Thursday. I followed the acclimating instructions, and after adding them, they all seemed fine. Swam around the tank exploring, even ate fairly enthusiastically. This morning, however, the OB Peacock has not moved much at all and has spent hours "treading" a spot in the corner about three inches from the top. He is not "hiding," but will not swim over to eat or explore. The male Haplo is kind of pushy with the female, but doesn't appear to bother the OB. Should I just give him more time? Will another OB help when I can get one? Should I get more "decor?"

PS- not sure if this is relevant but I have been feeding Omega One Cichilid pellets, frozen cubes, and some flake Spirulina.

I attached some pictures of the fish- in the tank one, you can see the OB in his "spot."

Thank you!

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh ok, so how did you know you were done cycling this weekend? What did you use to cycle? was it fishless with ammonia? or with your pleco alone? What kind of testing are you using?

murphrandir

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've had my Pleco in the tank for months (alone since the turtle died). I used Safe Start plus this weekend to make sure. and I've been using API for ammonia.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Unfortunately you won't know for sure you until you test your nitrite and nitrate levels. Nitrites should be zero (along with ammonia) and nitrates above zero (below 20 or 40 ppm is ideal) if your tank is cycled.

It's likely cycled if you're had your pleco in for months, but it's good to check your levels just to be safe!

murphrandir

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks, guys, I'll get my hands on one as soon as I can.
Thinking ahead, if nitrites/ates are OK, what else can I do?

Et tu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your water param. is 0 0 < 40 , and thus deemed ok, I would strongly suspect that the fish is being bullied, or could be ill prior to purchase. More decor that goes the full height of the water column will help break up sight lines.

slayer5590

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Male nyererei can be very aggressive both to other fish and females of their own species. I would add a 2-3 more female nyererei as well as another ob peacock.

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Male nyererei can be very aggressive both to other fish and females of their own species. I would add a 2-3 more female nyererei as well as another ob peacock.
I would mix victorians with malawi peacocks. Either he keeps the obs or the nyerereis. They should be in a ratio of 1male to 4-5 females

Joshua Drake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I know very little of african cichlids, but all of my american ones that I've bought were timid and stayed either hidden or in a corner for the first week or so of owning them. I do know that africans prefer a lot of rock caves etc to hide in, a few of those cichlid stones you see in pet shops might do the trick.

murphrandir

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well . Might have to return the Haplos. What goes with OB's that will fit in a 55 G?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom