40 Gallon Tank New to fish keeping! Any advice welcome! Tank mates, tiger barbs, corydoras, rubbernose plec, zebra snails

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Your tank looks nice, but I'm confused by the discussion title. Do you already have those, or are considering those, or something else?

OP
SharonLC

SharonLC

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JettsPapa said:
Your tank looks nice, but I'm confused by the discussion title. Do you already have those, or are considering those, or something else?
Thanks for your reply! Yeah, it's not the best pic! It wouldnt let me upload a video. I have 9 tiger barbs, 4 green, 3tiger stripe and 2 gold. I also have 6 corydoras, 2 albino, 2 bronze and 2 peppers. I have 3 zebra snails and 1 rubbernose plec. I had the tigers first..about 6 months but they were fairly shy and hung about the filter, so I researched that cory cats were very good with tiger barbs and I have to say, they are fantastic!! They have brought the tigers right out as they curiously wonder what these wee frantic busy wagg tail sniffer dogs are about!! they are fantastic together. The rubbernose plec just hides and eats his algae wafer and still very shy. The snails all do their own thing. I'm obsessed with dipping for tank readings and have been doing more water changes as 2 snails and one of my older barbs died suddenly when new fish arrived. But I'm delighted they all get on so well. I am new tho and look forward to getting feedback and advice.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What size tank? Can you fill out your aquarium details?
Dipping for tank readings? I assume that means that you have papper stip testers. I suggest you get liquid tests for ammonia nitrite and nitrate. I recommend Salifert testers.
Me dwarf placoes have been the most shy fish I have kept. I had a candy stipped pleco that lived about 11 years , he yould show up once a day if I waited long enough, I Dont know how that little dude lived so long, but I loved seeing him. My bristlenose is a scardy cat too but at least he doesn't hide all day.

OP
SharonLC

SharonLC

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Noroomforshoe said:
What size tank?
Dipping for tank readings? I assume that means that you have papper stip testers. I suggest you get liquid tests for ammonia nitrite and nitrate. I recommend Salifert testers.
Me dwarf placoes have been the most shy fish I have kept. I had a candy stipped pleco that lived about 11 years , he yould show up once a day if I waited long enough, I Dont know how that little dude lived so long, but I loved seeing him. My bristlenose is a scardy cat too but at least he doesn't hide all day.
Its 140litre tank. 11years!! Wow! My plec is the same..I was sure he wasn't in tank as no sign for about 4 days but hes a master at hiding!! Yes, I mean the wee paper strips to test water. I was looking at liquid tests but they looked a bit technical! how many fish would you say I should have in that size of tank? Do I have enough? Dont want to crowd them!

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
liquid tests are easy, ApI tests you want to sake everything like crazy though.
Salifert tests you stir gently , it is easier.

what are the dimensions of the tank?
I think you may have enough schooling/ shoaling fish for the size, but you could add a more solitary/ non schooler. Maybe one or two golden wonder killI fish.

OP
SharonLC

SharonLC

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Noroomforshoe said:
liquid tests are easy, ApI tests you want to sake everything like crazy though.
Salifert tests you stir gently , it is easier.

what are the dimensions of the tank?
I think you may have enough schooling/ shoaling fish for the size, but you could add a more solitary/ non schooler. Maybe one or two golden wonder killI fish.
Tank dimentions
Length 80cm
Height 50cm
Width 35cm

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests