New to discus - danios ok with them?

dwayne wade
Hi, I've had fish tanks for prolly like 10 years now so I know a bunch about fish tanks.I want to get into discus now. Its a 29 gallon more tall then long. I wanted to do 2 small discus and maybe a few danios. Would the danios work out. Also this guy in the pet store by me said ill need a discus ph buffer to keep the ph at like 6.5. Is this true?

Disc61
HI Dwayne, Welcome to Fishlore. I would disagree with a PH Buffer, most people will tell you that a consistent PH is more important than an exact PH. if your PH is really high, many look towards RO water. My PH out of the tap is 7.6 and that is all I use, no buffering. 2 Discus is not recommended unless they are a pair. they really should be in groups of 5 or more. because of that recommendation 29 gl is to small for a group of Discus, 55 gl minimum is the recommendation. Danios are a very fast and active type of fish and not really recommended ( sorry, I seemed to be shooting everything down) this behavior with the danio would keep your Discus on edge all the time. many use a rummynose or Cardinal Tetra as a dither fish.
So, some important key points for you, and one that I think is the most important when dealing with Discus, Start with Healthy fish from a reputable Discus Breeder. Keep Prestine water and if dealing with Juvies a bare bottom tank is best. they like to have groups of at least 4-5 and should be in a 55gl minimum. hope this helps out a bit. and lots and lots of water changes using a water conditioner.

dwayne wade
Well I was gonna do 2 small ones. My friend knows a guy that breeds them that my friends friend buys from the guy. He charges like 12.50 each any color as far as I know. Would I be good with the ph out of the faucet? Also I would buy the 2 discus at the same time so I'm guessing it would be a pair. All I have in my tank now is a driftwood and sand. The discus I would get would be small under 2.5inch. Does it matter what color goes with what color?
Also I was planning on keeping 2 baby discus and probably like 1 cardinal tetra small one and call it a day. Then do my regular stuff like water changes. It would take years for the discus to get full grown. I did good with my last fish when I had a blood parrot but the blood parrot starting getting big and then killed everything in the tank and eventually I had to get rid of it.

Disc61
You can mix colors and strains, but just because you get 2 at one time does not necessarily mean you get a male and female. there is certainly a chance of it. Smaller ( Juvies) Discus demand a little more care many water changes and you need to feed them small amounts of food 4-6 times a day. it is hard for me to say about water straight from your faucet, I myself do use water straight from my faucet and treat it with a water conditioner.

dwayne wade
how do you get a female and male then?

Disc61
by chance or by a breeder that sells pairs(proven pairs are pretty pricey).

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jamie2201
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
  • Question
Replies