New to cichlids

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by CLE216, Dec 10, 2012.

1. CLE216

CLE216 New Member Member

Just bought a 75 gallon from a friend and finally want to have a cichlid tank. Just a couple of questions. First, I want to use sand instead of gravel, how do you go about cleaning? I use a snake now but I know the sand will get sucked right up unlike gravel. Second, I want to get 3 clown loaches, for the most part will cichlids leave them alone? Finally what kind of cichlids do you like best, any suggestions?

2. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

The clown loaches will get to big for a 75g and need a group of 6. Also African cichlids might bother them but I'm not 100%.

you could get some dwarf syno catfish instead of the loaches.

3. a

anz Valued Member Member

Sand is not difficult to clean. In some ways it's easier because the poo settles on top of the sand instead of under the gravel. You just hover the siphon about an inch over the top of the sand and the poo will get sucked up into the tube. Sometimes a little sand gets sucked up, but its not much.

4. t

tress29 Valued Member Member

When I tried to "hover" over the sand, I always found I'd dip too low and suck up a burst of sand! Then I figured out that if I pinch the tubing to restrict the flow more I can push the vac tube into the sand just like gravel. I don't try to go as deep, maybe 1/4-1/2", so the sand won't clog the tube. I usually find a little sand in my bucket, nothing measurable.

5. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Another alternative is to use Malaysian Trumpet Snails. Warning, if you do - They will multiply on a singular snail and doesn't take long.

I have a few in my 75 Gallon Mbuna tank, and they do wonderfully on the poop. Yes, they do eat poop and other junk around and in the substrate. I just make sure I lessen the population from time to time.

On top of that, Clown Loaches need to be in a group of 6 or more as stated above in another comment. Too, they should be in a 90 to 100 Gallon+ fish tank to thrive properly. They need lots of room, and yes, they will pick on most Cichlids. Water parameter needs for the Loaches are a bit different as well.

6. a

anz Valued Member Member

Here is another source for information on cichlid fish. Has profile info, tank set up, all kinds of info.

7. FoulFishes

FoulFishes Valued Member Member

Maybe look at YOYO Loaches. They stay smaller, but still reach a decent size. In my opinion they are more active and attractive than Clown Loaches.

Unfortunately, I feel that Clown Loaches are to Loach fish the equavilent of Common Plecostomus are to Catfish, in the common aquarium trade.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice