New to Cichlids. Considering an all Male Peacock/Hap Set-Up--Yay or Nay?

1. csutter1 Member Member

I'm in the process of starting up my own cichlid aquarium. I was initially considering Mbunas but then read a forum about creating an all male peacock tank with some Haps mixed in. I love the idea and I feel like it could allow me to get a wider variety of fish, and would eliminate any worrying about male to female ratios. However, I was wondering if an all male setting would create a setting with higher aggression. I know Mbunas need to be overstocked, but what about Peacocks/Haps? From what I've read they do not need to be kept in as high of numbers as Mbunas. Also, when purchasing, do they all need to be purchased and added to the aquarium at the same time like Mbunas, or should it be more sporadic?
    How many peacocks/haps would be appropriate for a 70-something gallon tank? Are there any bottom feeders such as catfish that I could potentially add as well? Or what about loaches?
    I also would appreciate a compilation of compatible peacocks/haps that could coexist in this setting as I would like to plan the aquarium stock first and see what I can find at my LFS.
    Finally, what type of tank set-up do peacocks/haps prefer? A bow-front tank? Long, rectangular tank? Also, should the tank have lots of rocks or plants? What is the ideal interior set-up for peacocks/haps?
    Sorry for all of the questions, I just want to make sure I have a thorough knowledge before making any final decisions.
    THANKS!

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi and welcome. I have a mbuna tank and there are a few peacocks mixed in the tank. I have an overstocked 90g tank with lots of rocks for scape.
    I am not certain about your questions but here is a link with lots of cichlids and hopefully, that will be some help.
    https://www.fishlore.com/profiles-cichlids.htm

3. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

I don't really know a lot about peacocks or haps so can really help. But good luck.

4. csutter1 Member Member

Bump..
    Anyone out there with Peacock/Hap tanks???

5. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

Just get one of each species different colors for an all male tank. With haps go for peaceful ones. And watch out because some haps can get huge.

6. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

It is very good that you are having the fore sight to ask about your proposed tank.
    The very first thing you need to do if you are thinking of starting a Haps tank, is to do an awful lot of research.
    You will need to research all the info you can about these fish, and gleen a load of info and background stuff about habitat, foods , aqua scaping , diet, behavior , and aggression levels.
    All the questions you ask cannot be answered here IMO with just one post, as you have so many.
    Please do your research and come back with more specific questions that can possibly be answered in a definitive manner in order to assist you with your project.

7. csutter1 Member Member

Okay, so how about something more basic then? Such as, what are some colorful haps/peacocks that would do well in an all male 60-75gallon tank? I'm slowly discovering the rest myself. There's just a boatload of info that I'm trying to process step by step..

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Ok, thats a little better and I can make some suggestions you may or may not like.
    Check out these species
    Aulonocara Stuartgranti
    A. Maleri
    Otopharynx Sp. Blue Otter
    O.Walteri
    Sciaenochromis Fryeri
    These are just a few species of the huge Haplochromis flock residing in lake Malawi.
    You are correct in saying there is a boat load of stuff to learn, but if you do not research this very complex flock of fish properly, you will end up with a disaster in your tank.
    The main attribute of an Aquarist must have, is patience, and bucket loads of it.
    You will certainly not achieve a beautiful and successful tank by rushing things.

9. xD1x Member Member

I Would say Blue Dolphins, And Different Species Of peacocks and several Frantosa's

Together We Can Change The Fish Hobby !

10. Carvalhop Member Member

I have Haps, Peacocks and Mbunas in my tank. IMO you can mix them as long as you put them in your tank at an young age, some combinations that would never be possible can thrive by doing this. More aggressive fish should be introduced at a size disadvantage to the less aggressive fish. overstocking is always a good idea to spread aggression in a cichlid tank. You need a lot of rocks for the mbunas. peacocks and haps like rocks too but they are more free swimmers and also like free space. There will be always fish going after other fish in a cichlid tank, that is normal, what is not ok is if you start to see real damage in them. It is a good idea to add you cichlids in groups so you wont have that one new guy being picked by the guys already in your tank. I usually add groups of 6. Also, when I add new cichlids to my tank I take all rocks and decor from my tank and add it again after adding the fish, that helps a lot with aggression. For a 70 gallon tank you probably are looking to have 22-34 cichlids, depending on what fish you choose. You can see the fish I have on my profile. Hope that this information helps you.