New to Cherry Shrimp - Advice Needed

jreinhart

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi everyone! My wife has a 5 gallon Aqueon Mini Bow (such as ).

For many years I've been excited about cherry shrimp and more recently my wife has joined that bandwagon. We've watched the Shrimp Update videos posted to Brian's Fish Tanks Youtube channel (please see https://youtu.be/09Q6ls0fAtQ for his latest).

So my wife would like to take the plunge and use her 5 gallon Aqueon Mini Bow to house shrimp. After reading the article Dolfan wrote (https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/162-freshwater-shrimp-beginners.html) I'm orienting her towards Red Cherry Shrimp. I also think she'd like if the shrimp bred so she could have shrimplets.

Dolfan's article makes the process seem fairly straight forward but I'm afraid that we're missing something. It can't be as easy as it seems.

As I see it the process for starting up is much like what I used on my 25 gallon planted community tank. Setup tank, cycle tank, add live plants, add shrimp.

Is that true?

Some other questions.

1) For a 5 gallon tank how many Red Cherry Shrimp should my wife begin with?
2) Between Java Moss, Hornwort, Java Fern, and Anacharis which ONE would be the best live plant to keep in the 5 gallon tank?
3) How important is having a pre-filter sponge?
4) Is the Fluval pre-filter sponge (for the Fluval Edge...see ) compatible with the filter intake on the Aqueon 5 gallon Mini Bow's filter?
5) Is the default light from the Aqueon 5 gallon Mini Bow sufficient for use with live plants that Red Cherry Shrimp need?

Many thanks, in advance, for your help with my many questions.

AquaticLeopard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hello,
In my opinion, yes it really is that easy.

1. I believe I added 8 Red Cherry Shrimp to start in my own 5.5 gallon tank. You can always add more later, if you want to. You will hear quite varied opinion on how many you can have in your tank. I would probably start with a smaller group and work your way up, you want to leave some space for the shrimplets that will eventually grow up and start breeding too.
2. I have Java fern in my 5.5 gallon tank and though it gets quite big, it doesnt grow too fast in lower light conditions. If you want something smaller that you wont need to maintain much I would suggest Anubias Barteri variety nana. I find the java moss grows too out of control for my smaller tank so I now only keep it in my large tank. I have never had Hornwort or Anacharis so I will let someone else comment on their suitability.
3. I find that the prefilter sponge is especially important if you want to keep your shrimplets. Some of them will get sucked into the filter otherwise, maybe some of the adults too. I sometimes see my shrimp hanging out on the prefilter sponge between meals, eating some of the plant debris that gets stuck to the outside of it.
4. I'm not sure if the fluval prefilter sponges are compatible with your filter but if it has an intake tube around 1/2 inch wide you should be fine. I use them on my Aquaclear filters.
5. I am unfamiliar with your tank so I will let someone else answer about the lighting.

Good luck with your shrimp, they are a lot of fun to watch.

jreinhart

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
AquaticLeopard said:
Hello,
In my opinion, yes it really is that easy.

1. I believe I added 8 Red Cherry Shrimp to start in my own 5.5 gallon tank. You can always add more later, if you want to. You will hear quite varied opinion on how many you can have in your tank. I would probably start with a smaller group and work your way up, you want to leave some space for the shrimplets that will eventually grow up and start breeding too.
2. I have Java fern in my 5.5 gallon tank and though it gets quite big, it doesnt grow too fast in lower light conditions. If you want something smaller that you wont need to maintain much I would suggest Anubias Barteri variety nana. I find the java moss grows too out of control for my smaller tank so I now only keep it in my large tank. I have never had Hornwort or Anacharis so I will let someone else comment on their suitability.
3. I find that the prefilter sponge is especially important if you want to keep your shrimplets. Some of them will get sucked into the filter otherwise, maybe some of the adults too. I sometimes see my shrimp hanging out on the prefilter sponge between meals, eating some of the plant debris that gets stuck to the outside of it.
4. I'm not sure if the fluval prefilter sponges are compatible with your filter but if it has an intake tube around 1/2 inch wide you should be fine. I use them on my Aquaclear filters.
5. I am unfamiliar with your tank so I will let someone else answer about the lighting.

Good luck with your shrimp, they are a lot of fun to watch.
Been trying to find the filter from my wife's 5 gallon Aqueon Mini Bow. One would presume the filter would be kept with her aquarium and of course it isn't. I did find an Aqueon QuietFlow HOB filter I used to use and I measured its intake tube presuming it must be similar to the one used on my wife's Mini Bow.

The intake tube on the Aqueon QuietFlow is 1 inch across (diameter I believe). After looking at the Amazon listing for the 5 gal Mini Bow I'm thinking the intake tube may be smaller.

Here's a link:

What do you think?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

You have some beautiful shrimps and tanks! Thanks for sharing the video!

Ken

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I can tell you that the Aqueon MiniBow light is junk (or at least the "old" version is, not sure about the LED new one). For some reason the light is hidden behind a plastic covering that makes it yellow and weak.....and half of the tank is dark due to the way that the lid is shaped. Even after buying a strong LED bulb to replace the incandescent, the light sucks.

However, my java fern and anubias in the tank haven't completely died, but I'm seeing VERY little growth even with ferts. Even my anacharis is growing slowly. Aqueon did not make the MiniBow series with live plants in mind, the only live plants I would go with are java moss, marimo moss balls, and possibly java fern with fertilizer.

Just my 2 cents on questions 2 and 5.

zap123

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am new to RCS too (~4 months.) My $0.02 is that.

1: ~10 will get you started with a good colony.
2: any easy low light plant is fine, it's personal preference.
3: The only reason to cover the filter intake is to protect offspring. You can use anything. a $1 media bag, $0.25 worth of filter pad, or a $5 pre-filter sponge. again preference.
5: For lighting, check out your local hardware store for an equivalent CFL bulb (daylight 50K+ spectrum), you'll get more light and less heat for the same wattage. You can also paint the underside of the hood FLAT white for a more reflective surface.

jreinhart

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
One thing I should've asked but forgot to was about the substrate.

What type of substrate should be used for red cherry shrimp? Some of the Youtube videos I've seen say an active substrate like ADA Amazonia needs to be used. And some of the videos talk about using dry additives below the substrate.

Is something like Flourite or Eco-Complete suitable?

Betta Splendid 1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You now aqueon makes a light that claims it promotes photosynthesis in live plants which fits into the minibow tanks, well I know they do for the 2.5 not sure about the 5. I know it works when I used it one of my plants grew so big in there I had to remove it, took away too much space for my Betta. Now there's a anubias nana instead.

jreinhart

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Betta Splendid 1 said:
You now aqueon makes a light that claims it promotes photosynthesis in live plants which fits into the minibow tanks, well I know they do for the 2.5 not sure about the 5. I know it works when I used it one of my plants grew so big in there I had to remove it, took away too much space for my Betta. Now there's a anubias nana instead.
That I didn't know. I believe my wife's MiniBow 5 has the stock light in it. There's some Java Moss in my 25 gallon planted for her tank when it gets set up. I bought it from Peabody's Paradise. Am hoping to get her something like Anubias Nana to go in there as well. I have extra Java Fern from my planted tank I could give her too. It should do ok with her light setup.

Will give her a piece of driftwood to attach the Anubias to.

Any idea about the substrate?

jreinhart

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Betta Splendid 1 said:
Sadly no I know nothing about the substrate. I have never owned shrimp. But I would think Eco-earth is good but I really don't know.
I used Eco-Complete and Flourite in my 25 gallon planted. Think I still have an unopened bag of one of those. It may be the Flourite Dark.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom