New to Bettas, how much to feed

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by LyleB, Dec 24, 2012.

1. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

I have my first Betta. Very personable. Had him less than a week, but he already will come right up to eat from my finger.

I'm feeding NLS Betta Formula as the staple, also have some Omega One Betta Buffet flakes (all the shop had when I picked him up), and occasionally some blood worms. The NLS and Blood worms get soaked briefly in a bit of Garlic Guard prior to feeding.

I've seen folks say that they feed 2 or 3 pellets per day. Is this really enough? Mine eats 4 or 5 as fast as I'll give them to him one at a time. He doesn't seem to be getting too fat, but like I said, I've had him a little less than a week. Don't want to over feed, but he certainly wants more.

What's the consensus?

2. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

3. OP
    OP
    L

Yep, Jojo, I saw your video, that's why I'm doing things as I do. I slightly modified it. I put the four or five pellets into a medicine cup. I add one drop of Garlic Guard and let it sit until it is all absorbed. Takes about 4 minutes. They are then soft, but not totally mushy. I then feed off my finger like you show.

I will be ordering some Vita Chem from Amazon soon, haven't found it in the local stores. Do you see any problem with omitting diluting the Garlic Guard with the tank water? He eats the food readily, so must like it. Glad to hear you feed more than the two or three pellets I've seen others speak of. That just didn't seem like enough.

4. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojo Fishlore VIP Member

i dilute the garlic in tank water also, so yes thats fine.

i know i can never find any of the good stuff at local stores. vita chem, fish protector, and even garlic guard at most stores.

bettas can get constipated very easy so under feeding is not really a bad thing. most problems come from over feeding not underfeeding so make sure you keep a eye on there belly. if you see one getting fat you might want to skip a feeding or even a whole day to let them clear out. some feed peas to help with this but i dont unless it gets really bad.

5. OP
    OP
    L

Well, my boy finally made his first bubble nest. I was starting to think he didn't like his 10 gal home. I know, nest building isn't really a sign of contentment, but it was nice to see finally. He's a very friendly guy.

6. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

anything from 4-8 pellets depending on the fishes size and the pellet size. NLS is small so maybe 5-6 per fish at 2 feedings a day 4-5 times a week. Don't feed flakes imo, even when soaked and sunk they just seem to bloat bettas up so bad. These guys are easily constipated as said so a fasting day is a good idea every few feedings. I feed every other day myself.

Honestly, i have 3 bettas in a 10gal and 1 in a 37 and i have had 1 in a 3gal. I have had about 7-8 bettas so far and 3 of them are girls. I have only had 3 males actually bubble nest and only 1 do it regularly. I don't expect it of them anymore, simply because they just don't get interested in breeding. Has no play on their mood imo. My newest female does like to bubble nest though...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice