New To Betta Keeping Question

1. Wonzomonzo Initiate Member

I started an aquarium, 40L tank with filter and heater. I've been reading a lot, and found out about nitrogen cycle.

It's been a few days, been doing all I could do with my research.

The water was cloudy from the 3rd day of introducing the betta into the tank, but cleared up overnight after adding NUTRAFIN cycle into the tank.

Betta stayed in the bottom corner for the first 3 days, now exploring around the tank actively. Fins also look healthier compared to when I brought him in.

New problem is, pH: 7.2 ammonia: 0.25-0.50ppm Nitrite: 0ppm Nitrate: 0ppm temperature: 24'C measured at the far end away from heater, heater set to 28'C.

Testing the water everyday, showing increase of ammonia from this morning.

I've been feeding 2-3 pellets of omega one betta buffet pellets per day, cleaning out the leftovers.

I've read that ammonia spikes are common during the cycles in new tanks.

What should I be doing right now?

Products I'm currently using:
    -NUTRAFIN cycle 5ml per day
    -NUTRAFIN aqua plus 5ml every 4 days
    -tried seachem betta basics to treat the rising ammonia

2. Mac's Initiate Member

Hey Won Cho,

Since your doing a fish in cycle the main thing is to keep up testing multiple times a day.

Fish produce ammonia from their gills, from rotting food in the tank and from their waste. Ammonia continues to build up until the water becomes toxic and kills them, painfully.
    If you cycle with fish, it must be with extreme caution, daily testing of the water and doing many water changes to make sure the ammonia never climbs over .25-.50 maximum. This is why test kits are vital so you know how hight the toxic level is in your tank have risen. Bacteria does NOT grow in the water so do as many water changes as necessary, to maintain safe parameters.

After you have a low ammonia level for a time, you will begin to see nitrites register on your tester and the ammonia will begin to go down. Nitrites are also toxic and water changes and testing must continue.
    When ever I do have to do a fish in cycle I do a two times a day water testing. With generally a single 50% water change right from the start. Helps keep parameter swings stable and toxic build ups lessoned until the beneficial bacteria has built up to handle the waste.

mac

3. Wonzomonzo Initiate Member

Thanks for the answer mac, just another question, am I supposed to heat the water before adding it to the tank for the water change? Adding cold treated water to the tank seems dangerous

4. Mac's Initiate Member

I use a Thermometer to match my tank temp with the tap water temp.

5. Hollyhaffy Initiate Member

Always aim to add water that is the same temperature as your tank. I usually boil a kettle and then prepare my water in a bucket using a thermometer to make sure it's the same temperature as the tank before adding it.
    Bettas as just the most gorgeous fish -So much personality! I never tire of my boys antics! Have fun with your new fish friend :)

6. Dragones5150918 Well Known Member Member

You can use water up to 2°c difference before you can create a temperature shock situation.

7. Initiate Member Member

Make sure you treat the water with some water conditioner before doing a water change to remove any chemicals harmful to the fish. To remove the ammonia do a 25% water change. Bettas are very hardy and should be resistant to poor water quality when cycling. Do not buy any more fish until the tank is cycled. You can turn the turn to the heat you think is the same in your tank by testing with your finger. Hope your betta does well and the best of luck to you!

8. Wonzomonzo Initiate Member

Thank you all for the answers,
    Came back for just a little update.
    Tank seems to have cycled, showing 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and some nitrate.
    The betta seems to be very happy, fin tear healing slowly (it was teared from the store)

Added 2 panda corydoras, they seem to be getting along just fine.

9. FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

You might want to remove them (the corys) asap. They need at least 20 gallons (75 litres), a 10 gallon 40l tank just won't provide enough of a footprint (area at the bottom of the tank) for them.

10. Wonzomonzo Initiate Member

Done! thanks for the advice