New To Aquariums, Please Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by CanadianMade, Jul 21, 2015.

1. C

CanadianMade Valued Member Member

Hey everyone i am recently new to owning a tank! i am very excited about it. I acquired a 30 gallon freshwater tropical tank for free, it was fully functioning when i went and picked it up 2 days ago. the tank belonged to a gentlemen who did all the upkeep and maintained it. when he passed his wife gave it to me. now she had mentioned that she cleaned the filter but that was about it. I am concerned that because she wasn't sure what she was doing, she probably washed out all the good bacteria.

My question is. i have the tank setback up at my house now all the fish are in it and its functioning, although i think it needs to be recycled. how do i recycle my tank if the fish are currently in there? the water seems to have quite a bit of debris in it from the fish. Do i just do frequent partial water changes until the filter can catchup? also i am having a hard time finding out exactly what kind of fish they are, from what i've gathered online there are 6 neons a couple molly's and a bottom feeder. if these are the fish i have what is the recommended water temperature?

2. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, welcome to Fishlore! :;hi2

Rinsing the filter, depending on how she did it and how often she watched her husband do it, wouldn't necessarily kill off the good bacteria. The first thing I would do is test your parameters. Do you have an API master drop test kit? If not, I'd pick up one of those.

Do you know all about the Nitrogen Cycle? If not, read up on that by clicking on the link.

Not sure what water conditioners she gave you but I'd pick up a bottle of Seachem Prime which not only get rid of chlorine/chloramines but will detoxify ammonia and nitrites up to 1.0 with a single dose.

In the mean time, you could take a tank water sample to your local fish store and ask them to check it for you. Have them give you actual numbers you can write down. Don't accept "every thing looks good". Come back and post them here and then we can take it from there.

Your fish will cycle the tank for you but depending on whether or not you are cycled you might need to pick up a bottle of bacteria like Seachem Stability or Tetra Safe Start Plus etc.

Aim to change out at least 30% of your water a week, you can clean the debris off the substrate at that time. Did she give you a siphon? If not, pick one up and a few buckets.

Water temperature of 78 or so would be good.

If you post some pics we can tell you what kind of fish they are.

3. OP
    OP
    C

Thank you very much, I havent purchased a test kit yet, I am only able to test the PH levels with what i acquired with her. Previously to me picking the tank up i actually went and got some buckets and a bottle of Seachem Prime. Which i assume is only for use when i need to condition water with new water changes?

4. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

That actually depends on whether or not she killed off your filter bacteria.....
    I would dose it every 24-48 hours right now until you can get the numbers or test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. It will detoxify small amounts of ammonia and nitrites (up to 1.0) temporarily keeping your fish safe while you figure this out.

What is your ph? Test your tap and tank ok?

5. Shortfuuzze

Shortfuuzze Valued Member Member

I would also recommend checking the filter to see if it has media space for a carbon or carbon/ammonia bag.....

I run 2 HOB filters in my tank, one has carbon bag all the time and the other has an ammonia bag.....my chems are always on point and water is always sparkling (unless I forget to scrub the glass haha)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. OP
    OP
    C

Its very difficult to see these guys as they were swimming around like crazy but these are what i have in my tank

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

7. OP
    OP
    C

Can anyone specify what kind of fish these guys are

8. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! :)
    The top fish in the 1st picture is a Black Neon Tetra. The other 5 fish in the 1st picture are Pristella Tetras. The fish in the last picture are Danios. All these fish are schooling fish which require 6+ of their own kind.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. OP
    OP
    C

Awesome! Thank you! I have been having a hard time finding any info on them. They each have 6 of each kind

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice