New To Aqua Plant Life Help

1. Bowersda

Bowersda Initiate Member

Hey there, I'm new to live plants to my tank, partner was opposed to the idea at first but convinced her once we started getting fry in the tank. Only had these plants for a week and they've already started to turn yellow and brown. Did a full water change on Friday and do a weekly water change. Yet hasn't improved their condition. They have a pretty strong light though I don't know the wattage and I've yet to give them any plant food etc yet as wanted them to settle in before messing around with extra chemicals. Any advice on how to remedy this and help them thrive will be great thanks ;).

2. B

Bruno Initiate Member

whats the exact specifications of the light you have? color temperature is very important to plant growth and sustainability.

3. OP
    OP
    Bowersda

Bowersda Initiate Member

Light was built in with the tank,

"1 LED lighting system (12V - 2.5W"

As described on the website.

4. b

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Hi there,

It looks like you have cryptocoryne wendtii and
    is the second picture rotala with an amazon sword in the back?
    If you could verify it then I could tell you more about them.

Anyways, most cryptocoryne species are grown emersed, out of water. They go through something called “Crypt melt” where the leaves die and then grow back to adjust to your water parameters. This is normal is mostly every plant you buy. They are easy plants to have, low-light, low-tech plants but are heavy root feeders. They’ll appreciate having a root tab near their root system. You can take them out out the pot and plant them in your gravel. Same goes for the amazon sword.

5. OP
    OP
    Bowersda

Bowersda Initiate Member

Same plant in the 2nd and 3rd pic with the plant in the first picture in the back ground. Unsure what they are as they were sold as an allsortment.

6. J

Jessi Initiate Member

I am no plant expert but I have a heavily planted tank and here is what I learned that made my plants thrive:
    1.) Hardy plants adjust to their tanks over time (how much light, how far away the lighting is, water temp, etc.). This means that when you get them they take a few weeks to adjust to your tank. Some the of older leaves may not be able to adjust and may die off. As long as you see healthy new leaves forming, your plant is doing ok.
    2.) I have low light plants and I used to leave my tank lights on for a longer period of time (lights are on a timer). However, my plants were not doing well with that much light, tho the brown algae was. My lights are now on for 7.5 hours a day, and my plants are doing great.
    3.) Every week I brush off any brown algae spots that have formed on leaves. It takes just a few mins and it keeps the leaves from being overtaken by brown algae and dying. (I do not have an algae eater)
    4.) I dose weekly with a plant food. I've never experimented with NOT doing the fertilizer so I can't say for sure that this is a big factor, but I certainly believe that it helps. All of my plants are slow growing plants but they still have lots of new leaves growing in all the time.

I think if you get anymore plants it would be helpful to know what plants you are getting just so you better know what they need. But don't give up! I feel like plants add so much to tanks! And they are a learning curve and sometimes that's frustrating, but once you know what they want it's pretty easy to keep them thriving.