1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

New To All, Kind Of Jumped The Gun Too

Discussion in 'Welcome to FishLore' started by Fryish, Jun 16, 2019.

1. FryishNew MemberMember

Hello all. I've recently gotten into the aquarium game. As a new user to all of this, I of course started buying lots of different things before confirming I needed it. I did research but found that there is conflicting info out there. Anyway, I joined here so I can course correct before adding fish in.

2. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Hello and welcome to Fishlore! I see in your profile that you don't know about the nitrogen cycle and suggest that you research more about it. Basically all tank inhabitants produce ammonia as waste which is toxic, but you have beneficial bacteria which lives in the filter to convert it into nitrites then nitrates which are less toxic and can be removed with a simple water change.

3. liliroseValued MemberMember

You'll find conflicting information right here, too, because there are lots of people on this forum and we all have opinions. But hopefully you will learn things anyway.

I agree that learning about the nitrogen cycle is the most important thing a beginner can learn. The second most important thing is that a successful aquarium requires a whole lot of patience as well as hard work. There are very few shortcuts in this hobby- despite whatever fancy chemical the guy at the pet shop is trying to sell you to fix your problems.

And the third thing I wish all beginners knew is that the guy at the pet shop will almost always be friendly and helpful, but his job is to sell stuff, not to keep the fish you bought last week alive. He knows if he's nice, you'll come back and buy more fish if the ones you already have die. That sounds quite cynical, but many years of experience bear this opinion out.

Welcome and good luck!

4. FryishNew MemberMember

Thanks for the info. I had a broad understanding of the nitrogen cycle but more info is definitely better. I'm going to make another thread in n the appropriate section to level set.

5. FryishNew MemberMember

And thank you lili rose. I'm new to the aquarium scene but I'm definitely wary of sales people in general lol.