New to African Cichlids

1. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

This is the group of fish I know least about, sadly. I was never that interested until recently. Just looking for any advice and wisdom on keeping these guys. I don't care which lake is suggested, but Tanganyikan interests me for their behavior more than colorings. What would be some good beginner species, and minimum tank sizes (can't be huge)? I'm aware of the aggression, rock work, and alkaline water. Any do's and don'ts?

2. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

3. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

What's your max tank size you can fit to get an idea of what you can stock?

4. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

well I have a 36G bowfront laying around, but could possibly get away with a 55 with the wife (75 if the timing is perfect). I've been looking and Mbunas seem interesting, colorful and aggressive, plus you can have a lot of them. Are there such things as small haps or peacocks? I think I would enjoy a Tanganyika setup the best. How would something like this work:
    *a shell-dweller, rock dweller (like julies), and an open-water species, a goby-cichlid, and a small syno cat. Not in the same tank, but the Tanganyika spiny eels are lovely

Mind giving me an idea of what to work with for each? Thanks ahead of time!

5. LeoDiaz Fishlore VIP Member

My tanganyika knowledge is limited but I do know about the the most common in my area Shellies,brichardi, and alto comp. I keep Shellies alone in a shelldweller tank nothing else, I still think a mbuna is better option they are so interesting to watch also most peacocks stay 5-6inches also some haps are around the same size but some get huge.

6. Graphix Well Known Member Member

You could do Multis, Julis, and Cyprichromis. Definitely 3 different types of fish which can work together given enough room.

7. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

I like the Multis but what kind of Julie? I believe there are a few "dwarf" species, no? I don't know too much about the cyprichromis though.

8. Graphix Well Known Member Member

Could do some transcriptus. Or if you opt for a tank with a large enough footprint you could keep the multis in their own area and have some Tanganyikan sandsifters or gobys, which I think look very nice. Another option for rock dwellers are caudopunctatus.

Personally I'm looking to get my hands on some altolamprologus, there are many different types, though they are known to be fry eaters. Some people keep them with multis anyways and say their colony still thrives and grows- they're resilient like that.

With a 36 bowfront I'd stay away from the cyps, they need a decent group and are quite active open water swimmers. For that size I'd do some multis and a rockdweller species of some kind, split up into territories. A bunch of shells on one end and some rocks on the other. For open water swimmers, if you're open to non-tanganyikan fish, you could do a school of other fish, someone suggested rainbowfish as most come from hard water, though I suppose you'd be limited to the dwarf kind.

If you get the 55 g your options would be greater, not sure if I'd go with cyps still it would depend on the dimensions.