New Tire Track Eel

Leafy

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I love him!!! (or her) I just want to see if anyone has had this experience so far.

He's only about 4-5" long right now. Just a little baby. I dropped him into my 225g tank on Friday morning Oct. 11 so he's been here for 2 full days. This eel is pretty much the exact opposite of everything I read about them. He's out all day, and as soon as my lights mimic "dusk" he's gone for the night. He just disappeared now around 6p after being out all day, swimming around, hanging on branches with his little tail, picking at moss balls, eating bloodworms... He's not shy at all - he swims right up to the front of the tank and I swear he makes eye contact with me. Maybe that's wishful thinking. He digs his nose everywhere and is just about the cutest thing ever.

Anyone else have a super outgoing, diurnal eel?

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Leafy said:
I love him!!! (or her) I just want to see if anyone has had this experience so far.

He's only about 4-5" long right now. Just a little baby. I dropped him into my 225g tank on Friday morning Oct. 11 so he's been here for 2 full days. This eel is pretty much the exact opposite of everything I read about them. He's out all day, and as soon as my lights mimic "dusk" he's gone for the night. He just disappeared now around 6p after being out all day, swimming around, hanging on branches with his little tail, picking at moss balls, eating bloodworms... He's not shy at all - he swims right up to the front of the tank and I swear he makes eye contact with me. Maybe that's wishful thinking. He digs his nose everywhere and is just about the cutest thing ever.

Anyone else have a super outgoing, diurnal eel?
I had a spiny eel like that a little while ago. I have a tire track that currently that is around 7-8" and is fairly active but has a spot in the cave where he likes to sit.

OP
Leafy

Leafy

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Update... I figured out why he is the way he is. He's a half-banded spiny eel, and was incorrectly sold as a tire track. I don't mind at all because I love his personality. Apparently these guys only top out at 8", are diurnal and very friendly, and do well in smaller tanks. Fortunately, I didn't stock the tank with things big enough to eat him, since I'd planned on him being much bigger than he's actually going to get.

New Threads