New thing for bettas

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Has anybody seen this yet Only good picture I could find. Basically is a narrow lava lamp that holds up to one gallon of water with a rushing stream of bubbles up the middle creating a strong current for bettas, though how ironic bettas don't like strong currents and it's very narrow at the top. Only costs 49.99$ by me with a free betta

atm

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
How awful! Why would anyone want to put a poor helpless fish, of any species, in one of those?

CherryRose

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know but it's pretty dumb and not very attractive.

atm

cherryrose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree, it's not very attractive. There should be some kind of award to give to whoever designed it, or bought it. Something like the "Burnt Cookie" award they give to athletes that do dumb things.

CherryRose >

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They sell Lavalamps like that at petsmart for Betta's. It is very stupid. That's worse then putting them in just a regular 1 gallon tank because of it's narrow shape. They have no room to move barely. That disgusts me too. > Natalie

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
atmmachine816 said:
Has anybody seen this yet Only good picture I could find.  Basically is a narrow lava lamp that holds up to one gallon of water with a rushing stream of bubbles up the middle creating a strong current for bettas, though how ironic bettas don't like strong currents and it's very narrow at the top.  Only costs 49.99$ by me with a free betta

atm

Lava Lamp Aquarium -Approximately 14" tall with glass stones, air stone and small air pump. There are several different color settings you can choose from to light the tank. All LED lights! Top opens easily for feeding.
Perfect for Betta, Goldfish or Guppies! I also included a new jar of Betta food. This tank was used approximately 1 month! It is in perfect condition! $15.00
Hmm, have to wonder why this tank was only used approximately one month.

Mike

Phloxface

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That Lava lamp is where I found my second Betta boy "Lava" (that's how he got his name). He was on display in there at Petsmart and he was absolutely traumatized!  :'(  He was floating at the top desperately trying to escape the bubbles! He had NO place to swim to get away from the bubbles. The surface of the water at the top was barely more than 2 inches in diameter. He couldn't breathe.  He looked like he was dying! I TOTALLY flipped out! I was nearly hysterical when I ran screaming to the salesperson there and demanded they remove him immediately. I wanted to take him home and try to save him. I was shaking all over. It is incomprehensible to me that anyone would inflict such cruelty on a beautiful, helpless animal, and to promote such a ridiculous product!  >
Needless to say I took him home and after several days of him acting crazy, he finally settled down and became the biggest mommy's boy! He's healthy and happy and surprisingly, he enjoys his bubbles from the airstone, but only because he can easily swim away from them when he wants. When I put my face near the water he jumps up and kisses my nose, and when I put my cupped hand in the water he swims right in and lies down in my hand. This amazing, sensitive little soul would have died if I had not found him in time. I shudder to think how many other beautiful Bettas died in those things just so some 3 year old can have an interactive nightlight.  :

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Phloxface said:
That Lava lamp is where I found my second Betta boy "Lava" (that's how he got his name). He was on display in there at Petsmart and he was absolutely traumatized!  :'(  He was floating at the top desperately trying to escape the bubbles! He had NO place to swim to get away from the bubbles. The surface of the water at the top was barely more than 2 inches in diameter. He couldn't breathe.  He looked like he was dying! I TOTALLY flipped out! I was nearly hysterical when I ran screaming to the salesperson there and demanded they remove him immediately. I wanted to take him home and try to save him. I was shaking all over. It is incomprehensible to me that anyone would inflict such cruelty on a beautiful, helpless animal, and to promote such a ridiculous product!  >
Needless to say I took him home and after several days of him acting crazy, he finally settled down and became the biggest mommy's boy! He's healthy and happy and surprisingly, he enjoys his bubbles from the airstone, but only because he can easily swim away from them when he wants. When I put my face near the water he jumps up and kisses my nose, and when I put my cupped hand in the water he swims right in and lies down in my hand. This amazing, sensitive little soul would have died if I had not found him in time. I shudder to think how many other beautiful Bettas died in those things just so some 3 year old can have an interactive nightlight.  :
Yes it's so dumb, you would think the maker of these would be smarter too. I mean if you think a lot of times parents buy their kids these and when their fish dies in less than a month their so sad and either they or their parents don't want to buy another one and you'v just lost a customer like that :-\

atm

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No they see it as an opportunity to SELL another fish. Unfortunately, Bettas are considered disposable fish due to the cheap price of them in the petstores. They have been considered beautiful fish for small children to use as a pretty toy. A Betta is probably the LEAST apropriate fish for a small child.

Rose
>

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well lots of fish are seen as cheap 88C. glow-lite tetras, .99C neon tetras etc. It doesn't make sense anyways how they sell all these huge fish that take months to sell and small amounts of smaller fish more suitable for the average person yet they stay in buisness, you'd think they would make more money by selling lots of smaller fish and special ordering the larger fish and selling lots of supplies, they cost more than fish and if you can get somebody hooked you'l rack in lots of money.
atm

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
But after the initial length of the live gaurantee period, they have no vested interest in whether the fish stay alive or not. In fact, it is in their best interest for you to lose every fish in your tank. They know that the chances are that you will be back to buy a restock.

Rose

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
that is just so wrong

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
chickadee said:
But after the initial length of the live gaurantee period, they have no vested interest in whether the fish stay alive or not.  In fact, it is in their best interest for you to lose every fish in your tank.  They know that the chances are that you will be back to buy a restock. 

Rose
Yes but they sell fish so cheap these days and supplies so much more, if they could get you to keep them alive you'd think they would have a better chance of selling stuff to you and then there's no maintence cost though i know what you mean, custome kill the fish, customer buy more fish, store gets money, yay for store owner, boo for fishy.

atm

leafgirl115

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have seen that in a LFS near me. Its horible. I even saw some one go show there mom....

gammerus

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I remember asking for a betta hex (the ones that hold less water than the cups) and my parents explained that was simply not large enough for a betta... Wish more parents had common sense.

Peter243243

Valued Member
Reaction score
FISH HAVE RIGHTS NOT TO BE TOURCHERED.
ITS LIKE LOCKING SOMEONE (human) IN THE BATHROOM WHERE THE SINK FLOODS 1/2 of the bathroom.

Lets start writing angry letters.
Or reasoning letters which ever is better.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
All I will say is that I am sick and tired of discovering yet new ways to torture Bettas for the sake of making money. > And I plan to do something about it so watch out

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's good 0morrokh, I'm going to too over the summer when I have the time, going to try and get a job at a petstore too and try and order their Freshwater fish. Sometimes I think it's just the owner's fault, the store I saw these at the guy that owns it doesn't know much about fish, I sorta know the guy that orders the Saltwater fish and he keeps them great and cheap but the Freshwater fish I can't say the same.

atm

p.s. You been busy with school 0morrokh you haven't been on much, though neither has fish r friend or Emma?

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah I've been busy with school so haven't been on as much as I'd like...I was on the debate team which took an insane amount of time.

Anyway back on subject. I think I will try to get a job at a pet/fish store too. Also...we just had a project for civics where we had to write a bill and our class was the house of representatives and we are reading the bills and then voted them and stuff...but anyway I wrote a bill to ban fish dyeing and the sale of dyed fish and I think I'm going to send a copy of it along with a bunch of research to our senator...hehehe and bug them and bug them until they finally pass something to protect fish. Get this: in Minnesota you have to have a lisence to retail any animals except for mice, rats, birds, or coldblooded animals (as in fish >). Why the heck are dogs and cats and hamsters deserving of good care at the store but not fish or ANY animals for that matter???

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom