New Thank Help....HELP!!

SillyTropicalFish
New Tank Help....HELP!!

Hello Everyone....Please excuse me, it's my first posting. I just put in a new 29 Gallon tank 1 week ago. I started off with 2 Black Skirt Tetra after a couple days and yesterday we purchased 2 Platies and 1 Dwarf Gourami. My concern is, my water is looking a little yellowish, but everyone in the tank seems happy. Should I be concerned? I just read about The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle articles and I'm a bit worried that I messed up. Will my new friends make it?....Please HELP!!

sjlchgo
You have to add fish slowly to a new tank. Did you cycle the tank first? You should purchase a test kit(API Mater Test Kit is good) so that you can test the water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. That is the only way to know if the water quality is good.

Neville
Hello Everyone....Please excuse me, it's my first posting. I just put in a new 29 Gallon tank 1 week ago. I started off with 2 Black Skirt Tetra after a couple days and yesterday we purchased 2 Platies and 1 Dwarf Gourami. My concern is, my water is looking a little yellowish, but everyone in the tank seems happy. Should I be concerned? I just read about The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle articles and I'm a bit worried that I messed up. Will my new friends make it?....Please HELP!!

Welcome to Fishlore!
did u put any driftwood in the water? water gets yellowish when u put driftwood but it will be normal later on.
and off course always complete the cycling process.

COBettaCouple
welcome to fishlore! I would get the API master freshwater testing kit and pick up some Prime to treat your tap water with.

what are you treating the tap water with now?

dvd_wightman
Welcome to Fishlore. I would definitely do a water change as soon as you can, and then buy the API Master Test Kit. You should also treat new water added to the tank with a water conditioner (Prime is the best IMO.) Good luck!

SillyTropicalFish
I'm treating my tap water with AquaSafe water conditioner. I'm assuming all water conditioners are somewhat equal.

Peterpiper
Welcome to FishLore
You have a new tank that has not cycled.. you will need to do at least a 20% water change every day to keep the Ammonia down until your tank has cycled. I would do a 50% change ASAP. Do you have a water test kit?

SillyTropicalFish
I've also done the tests for PH and ammonia and they came out fine. These are the only test kits I have purchased so far. The pet store said they were most important. They also said I could take my water in and have them test it. What do you think?

Peterpiper
I would have it tested.. would still do a large water change. prep your water first.

Coryd55
Everyone else pretty much covered it but Welcome to fishlore anyway lol

COBettaCouple
Some only remove chlorine, some remove chlorine & chlorimines, some remove those and other heavy metals. Prime does that as well as promoting healthy slime coating and locking ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.
As long as it's stable, the pH should be fine for the fish. Anything above 0 on ammonia or nitrites indicate an uncycled tank and you want to do more frequent partial water changes to keep those as close to 0 as you can when you have fish in the tank.

I'm treating my tap water with AquaSafe water conditioner. I'm assuming all water conditioners are somewhat equal.

lyndatu
Welcome to Fishlore.com! Please enjoy all the wonderful features this website has to offer.

I have experienced the very same situation with my very first tank. I thought it was urine at first but it turned out to be algae. If your problem might be of algae, Have some algae eaters, like ottos or pleco, and then change some water. Or, it might be the "new aquarium bloom". If it is the "bloom", then it will settle down later on.

Don't worry, yellowish water won't bother your fish, but it's certainly not the best thing to see, eh?

Best of luck to the aquarium world!

And please do not be afraid to ask questions! It is our honor to answer them for you!

Amnagrla
Some only remove chlorine, some remove chlorine & chlorimines, some remove those and other heavy metals. Prime does that as well as promoting healthy slime coating and locking ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.
As long as it's stable, the pH should be fine for the fish. Anything above 0 on ammonia or nitrites indicate an uncycled tank and you want to do more frequent partial water changes to keep those as close to 0 as you can when you have fish in the tank.

SillyTropicalFish... COBettaCouple is right. I looked up your AquaSafe. It is pretty good, neutralizes chlorine, chloramine, and heavy metals and it does enhance the natural protective slime coating of fish.... however it is missing an important thing, especially for new aquariums. It doesn't detoxify ammonia, nitrates, nitrites. If you ARE going through the cycle or the "bloom" then these things will be spiking and you very well could lose your fish. In my opinion, Prime is the best, however, if you found a product that has all of these things that I bolded...that should be fine, too.

Good luck!!

jsalemi
If you can't find Prime, AmQual Plus is a good alternative to use.

SillyTropicalFish
Thank you very much...It doesn't seem to be bothering the fish....They seem to be very happy and lively and have very good appetites (hehehe...it's the mother in me) So...I'm not going to worry about it for now...I'll just keep watching them...and enjoying

Thanks again everyone for your input...I sure have come to the right place for advice...it's great!!

Peterpiper
Thank you very much...It doesn't seem to be bothering the fish....They seem to be very happy and lively and have very good appetites (hehehe...it's the mother in me) So...I'm not going to worry about it for now...I'll just keep watching them...and enjoying

Thanks again everyone for your input...I sure have come to the right place for advice...it's great!!

Still think it would be good to get a test kit for Ammonia, Nitrites & Nitrates.
Glad you enjoy the site

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Fisheye
Replies
Views
WTFish?
Top Bottom