New tetra owner!

emilai333

Valued Member
Reaction score
Actually, the tetras are **technically** "my roommate's," but in reality its a shared bunch. The loach is hers; the cory, the guppies, and the bettas are mine.

Anyway... first of all, I forgot to check what kind of tetras we got!!! stupid me. We got four different varieties (we have a friend who works at the lfs, he said they would be ok together without others of the same variety. They're all the same body type and they have definitely schooled up!). Two of them are the dyed ones... I wasn't thinking about the fact that they are dyed. My rm thought the pink ones were gorgeous and I gave the OK... and then chose a blue one. Oh well, I'll take good care of them. Mack is one of the ones with red over their eyes; Kayak is brown with black markings and orange fins (which, the more I look at him, I wonder if he might be dyed too). Does anyone know of a site that shows pictures of different tetra varieties so I could compare... or does anyone know what these may be?

Secondly, because this is a new tank set up, we are going to add a few more fish, later. I, for one, would like to put in a couple (2) of male guppies... What are some good tankmates for tetras and the loach? (and how many should I get?)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

wolfman21

Valued Member
Reaction score
Guppies are a good tank mate with tetras. As for the descriptions, there is a listing of fish on the main fishlore home page, so you could click on a couple there to find out.

PrayforMojo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i am starting my tank with tetras and i feel they really provide life and action to the environment, i plan on having black skirt, cardinal, then i will go with two bala sharks and two silver dollars. From my research they should all be fine until my baby balas grow up but i will be looking for a bigger tank before then.LOL
good luck have fun.
Mojo

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
emilai333 said:
Secondly, because this is a new tank set up, we are going to add a few more fish, later.  I, for one, would like to put in a couple (2) of male guppies... What are some good tankmates for tetras and the loach? (and how many should I get?)
The general rule of thumb is 1 gallon of water per 1 inch of adult fish. From the info in your signature, those fish are in a 10 gallon tank. The kuhli loach gets to be 4 inches, the 2 tetras (assuming they are white skirts that were dyed) are 2 inches each. The molly is 2 - 4 inches, so let's say 3. The cory is 2.5 inches. That brings the total to 13.5 inches in 10 gallons. I wouldn't add any additional fish to the tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom