New tanks!! What would YOU stock it with??

DeDeFishy

Reaction score
Hey guys!
I just came across this AWESOME person who is giving me a 29 gallon, 20 gallon long, and two 10 gallon for FREE! Best score ever.
But I want ideas! What would you guys do if you had this opportunity?
My only tank right now is a 20 gallon tall community. Stock is 1 dwarf gourami, 9 neons, 6 peppered cories, and 3 (very old) long finned black skirts.

The 10 gallons:
I’m currently thinking using one 10 gallon as a plant grow out tank (a little side cash).
The second 10 gallon, I would LOVE a Betta tank with some possible bottom feeders? Any suggestions welcome!

20 gallon long:
I’m think to move the cories in here so they’ll have a bigger footprint. I’ve also considered a Betta sorority? I’ve kept Bettas 10+ years and have heard mixed opinions on these but would love to hear what you guys think? Any other ideas welcome too!

20 gallon Tall:
I’m thinking of leaving the neons, gourami, and skirts in here. I love the way they’ve settled in!

29 gallon:
Absolutely no ideas at all?! I want to try a new species of fish! I’ve found lemon tetras interesting. Will any Cichlid or angelfish be happy in a 29? (Long shot, I know... ) Any bigger fish with some personality? Any interesting community ideas? I’m all ears!!

I 100% want at least ONE tank with cherry shrimp! Love those little dudes! I’d love at least 2 tanks to have Bettas. (10 gallon as backup). I also would love a tank with fancy guppies! Mollies also hold a special place in my heart.... Lol

I do NOT want any skirt tetras, harlequin rasboras, Glowlight fish, cardinals, or barbs. Some I’ve had before, some I just don’t really like.

That’s a long post! I’m done now, lol. Tell me what YOU guys would do?!

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
You should keep shell dwelling cichlids in your 29. :)

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi! Yes do the 10 gallon betta tank!! I love mine to death and it is very rewarding to know that you gave a poor fish in a cup a big home.

This is my sweet boy Reggie and his tank that holds himself and a bunch of baby mystery snails. I’m getting African Dwarf Frogs to add tomorrow! As for bottomdweller tank mates I wouldn’t do any other fish, but you could do pretty much any type of shrimp or snail, as well as ADFs. It all depends on the betta’s temperament though, keep that in mind! Try to find a mellow one :)

0FF09C09-723E-4D3E-8C3C-3B4C459F94A7.jpeg DD9A8A32-B9EE-40FA-AF08-E8E7391E1650.jpeg

MercuryTheBlueBetta

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 9 gallon with a betta, cherry shrimp, and nerite snails. My betta chases the shrimp around a little, so they’ve quickly learned when and how to hide. Bettas and cherry shrimp seem to be great matches for each other! Try to find a less aggressive betta if possible and give the shrimp plenty of hiding spots (I’ve heard Java moss works well, as well as wood with lots of little crevices). I think a similar setup could be great for one of your 10 gallons!

johnbirg

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I recently got back into Apistos after many years of not having them and I had almost forgotten what great little personalities they have. Plus I really like their great colours. With a 29 and a 10 you could also breed some which would probably be more profitable than the plants. They breed well in a 10 gallon.

DeDeFishy

Reaction score
Crispii said:
You should keep shell dwelling cichlids in your 29. :)
Wow, I’d never thought of those!! I will definitely be looking into them!

Bubbles_and_Fins said:
Hi! Yes do the 10 gallon betta tank!! I love mine to death and it is very rewarding to know that you gave a poor fish in a cup a big home.

This is my sweet boy Reggie and his tank that holds himself and a bunch of baby mystery snails. I’m getting African Dwarf Frogs to add tomorrow! As for bottomdweller tank mates I wouldn’t do any other fish, but you could do pretty much any type of shrimp or snail, as well as ADFs. It all depends on the betta’s temperament though, keep that in mind! Try to find a mellow one :)

0FF09C09-723E-4D3E-8C3C-3B4C459F94A7.jpeg DD9A8A32-B9EE-40FA-AF08-E8E7391E1650.jpeg
Love it!! Bettas have a very special place in my heart. I’m just head over heels for koi plakats, and they’re known to be somewhat bigger/more agressive so the shrimp idea scares me a bit but I could get lucky and find a mellow dude!

MercuryTheBlueBetta said:
I have a 9 gallon with a betta, cherry shrimp, and nerite snails. My betta chases the shrimp around a little, so they’ve quickly learned when and how to hide. Bettas and cherry shrimp seem to be great matches for each other! Try to find a less aggressive betta if possible and give the shrimp plenty of hiding spots (I’ve heard Java moss works well, as well as wood with lots of little crevices). I think a similar setup could be great for one of your 10 gallons!
Thank you!! That’s looking like my #1 choice right now, I’d love it!

johnbirg said:
I recently got back into Apistos after many years of not having them and I had almost forgotten what great little personalities they have. Plus I really like their great colours. With a 29 and a 10 you could also breed some which would probably be more profitable than the plants. They breed well in a 10 gallon.
What an awesome idea!! Do you have any favorite apisto species? I’ve looked into keeping them before but would love some input from an experienced keeper!

DeDeFishy

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with 1 female Betta in a community tank? I’m one of those strange people that are in love with the females possibly even a littttttle more than the males:shame: Their personalities are unbeatable imo!

Falena

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd go for the sorority! I had always been on the fence about it too having only ever kept bettas individually and heard so many conflicting opinions and controversy. But, decided to go for it a couple of months ago and, so far it's one of the most fun tanks I have! I think so long as you have plenty of plants and dives to break the lines of sight and give each lady their own territory it's not anywhere near as bad as it's perceived to be, just needs to be done correctly and by people with plenty of betta experience like yourself. I adore my sorority, they're extremely entertaining and personable and I even go as far as to say they enjoy each others company and hang out together. They even share food and play keep away without any aggression! So long as you have a backup plan just in case you get a few trouble makers I don't see why not :)

DeDeFishy

Reaction score
Falena said:
I'd go for the sorority! I had always been on the fence about it too having only ever kept bettas individually and heard so many conflicting opinions and controversy. But, decided to go for it a couple of months ago and, so far it's one of the most fun tanks I have! I think so long as you have plenty of plants and dives to break the lines of sight and give each lady their own territory it's not anywhere near as bad as it's perceived to be, just needs to be done correctly and by people with plenty of betta experience like yourself. I adore my sorority, they're extremely entertaining and personable and I even go as far as to say they enjoy each others company and hang out together. They even share food and play keep away without any aggression! So long as you have a backup plan just in case you get a few trouble makers I don't see why not :)
How awesome!!!! I really think I’m going to turn the 20 gallon long into the sorority (more space to create territory) and VERY heavily planted. I looooove the idea of so much personality in one tank!

Falena

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DeDeFishy said:
How awesome!!!! I really think I’m going to turn the 20 gallon long into the sorority (more space to create territory) and VERY heavily planted. I looooove the idea of so much personality in one tank!
It really is a LOT of fun! they're amazing to watch, so entertaining. And yes, mines very heavily planted with lots of tall driftwood and plants they can dart through. If ever they have a dispute they always manage to lose each other through the "tunnels" of wood and plants. I really think that's the biggest key to success! I didn't even follow the traditional rules of getting them all from the same spawn or same age ect. My girls are of mixed ages and all different colors from different breeders. The "alpha" is the largest, oldest and also the calmest of them all ironically. So I say go for it! after reading all the horror stories I had expected the introduction to be far worse than it was. I still recommend having a backup plan but after reading how you feel about female bettas I imagine you'll enjoy it just as much as I do :)

DeDeFishy

Reaction score
Falena said:
It really is a LOT of fun! they're amazing to watch, so entertaining. And yes, mines very heavily planted with lots of tall driftwood and plants they can dart through. If ever they have a dispute they always manage to lose each other through the "tunnels" of wood and plants. I really think that's the biggest key to success! I didn't even follow the traditional rules of getting them all from the same spawn or same age ect. My girls are of mixed ages and all different colors from different breeders. The "alpha" is the largest, oldest and also the calmest of them all ironically. So I say go for it! after reading all the horror stories I had expected the introduction to be far worse than it was. I still recommend having a backup plan but after reading how you feel about female bettas I imagine you'll enjoy it just as much as I do :)
You’ve got my excitement through the roof at this point! How many ladies do you have and in what size tank?

Falena

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DeDeFishy said:
You’ve got my excitement through the roof at this point! How many ladies do you have and in what size tank?
Haha! it is exciting! I've got 7 ladies in a 110 litre which is a 29 gallon I believe, But it also houses a big adult male bristlenose pleco. I Think you could do 5 in a 20 gallon long quite comfortably :) maybe even 7 if they're of a sweet nature

DeDeFishy

Reaction score
Falena said:
Haha! it is exciting! I've got 7 ladies in a 110 litre which is a 29 gallon I believe, But it also houses a big adult male bristlenose pleco. I Think you could do 5 in a 20 gallon long quite comfortably :) maybe even 7 if they're of a sweet nature
That’s sounds wonderful! In that case, I plan to move my cories over and do the 5-7 girls. Thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom